Employer: Caretakers of the Environment Tanzania
Duty Station: Mwanza, Tanzania
Application Deadline: 23rd Sept 2014
COET is a Tanzanian NGO that supports street-involved children and youth, as well as at risk and vulnerable families. TSC Sport Academy therefore focuses on using football and sports as a means to reach out and provide an essential support base to this target group, in addition to advocating for their rights and challenging negative perceptions surrounding these children and youth.
We are looking for candidates who:
-Understand that TSC Academy is a small local based project, that operates with very limited resources, so the position requires a great spirit of volunteering.
-3-5 years work experience in management/implementation of child development programs
-Experience building and maintaining partnerships with various partners including NGOs, CBOs, local government, etc.
-Understanding the issues facing street connected children in Tanzania
-An understanding of sport for development goals and a willingness to promote the benefits of sport and play as a tool for learning and development
-Proven experience in results-based project management, including research, strategic planning and financial management
-Experience and ability to pragmatically solve problems and plan a course of action using analytical, conceptual, strategic and forward thinking abilities to achieve an effective resolution
-Financial management, including budget management, review and re-allocation
-Experience and ability to oversee and support programming and project activities
-Tanzanian citizen with fluency in Swahili and English
-Computer literacy in MS Word, Excel, Power Point
-Demonstrated high level of interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to strengthen collaborative relationships with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social and political issues
-Excellent oral and written communication skills
-Ability to work under pressure
Your main responsibilities are to plan, to direct, to carry out, to monitor and evaluate all elements within the Academy’s program. To supervise Academy staff / coaches through attending and participating the football training sessions. Additionally to develop the academy football training manual and ensuring it is implemented effectively within the Project. To support the Programme Director to develop new fundraising strategies, so to look at expanding to new initiatives and programs. To develop the academy's strategic plan, to evaluate the existing project and to closely supervise fund spend on the project activities.
Your other duties will include; to support the Sports Programme Director to develop, and update as necessary, both short and long-term plans in order to meet the mission, vision and objectives of the Academy. These plans should be reviewed and approved by the Founder and Executive Director and The Academy President before they are submitted to the Board for approval.
You will be reporting to the Sports Programme Director on regular basis and submitting monthly and quarterly reports of the Academy (Financial and the progress of the programme activities). In your working jurisdiction, you will have the responsibility to interpret the mission and vision of the NGO to the wider community, media and other agencies.
As the TSC Academy Manager you will need to bring a demonstrated track record in implementation and management of in-field programs in Mwanza and to be able to work well in a fast paced and multi-faceted local environment. You will play a key role in the overall management and coordination of TSC Academy’s street development programs in primary schools, street skillz session (for street children) and TSC (evening) community sessions.
The TSC Academy Manager is responsible for the oversight of the successful implementation of Street Skills Sessions in Mwanza in line with the budget lines. Specifically, the Academy Manager is responsible for the following as detailed below:
• Program Design & Fundraising Support
• Program Management, Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation
• Stakeholder Communications and Partnerships
• Program Strategy Development
• Other Program Support, Coaching & Tournaments
Job Responsibility #1:
PROGRAM DESIGN & FUNDRAISING
• In conjunction with the Sports Programme Director, to write / design program proposals for various projects, including street skillz session, street children motorbike scheme, TSC in the community programme, primary school session;
• Create or review program documents, including program budget, action plan, for each of the program mentioned above to potential donors when funding opportunity emerges;
• Assist Sports Programme Director and Executive Director to build a partnership with current donors and potential donors;
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT/ IMPLEMENTATION, MONITORING & EVALUTATION
This role includes the Management of TSC’s current street children sports engagement and community programs. More specifically, you will be responsible for managing the following programs in Mwanza:
• Street Skillz Session, TSC in the community program (evening social inclusion program) at Sabasaba, Co-organise TSC Cup, Co-organise the level 2 street skills course, support social worker - street children rehabilitation program, organize and supervise TSC primary school coaching session (Arsenal Sessions).
• Create, manage, and update Program Management System documents for each of program mentioned above; such as child profile, admission forms and progress report form, attendance registrar book for each program etc.
• Ensure the achievement of specified programmatic goals for each program
• Create, manage, monitor and ensure accountability and adherence to Project Plan/Action Plans;
• Staff or children report to the program / sessions on time.
• Work with staff and COET’s M&E team to ensure program monitoring and evaluation at regular intervals;
• Ensure timely completion and submission of Monthly and Quarterly Narrative Activities and Financial Reports and submitted to SPD
• Adhere to the project budget and ensure program team follows project financial guidelines;
• Manage project budget and spending with specific accountability for project finances;
Ensure all the following aspects of daily project management for the project:
- Build in-depth knowledge of the project;
- Maintain up-to-date information on programs to add depth to TSC’s project context knowledge;
- Ensure projects follow project plan, and where applicable, make revisions to the project plan.
- Chair and conduct weekly and monthly project staff meeting (develop event/ meeting calendar) and file or share the meeting outcome with SPD.
- Support of social worker in delivering workshops
- Support social worker and evaluation manager in family visits using knowledge of players
- Assessment of needs for player support (with social worker)
- Responsible for internal media generation opportunities – writing articles etc.
Job Responsibility #3:
STAKEHOLDER COMMUNICATIONS AND PARTNERSHIPS
Support the establishment and maintenance of programmatic & strategic relationships with other partners including Donor, Corporate Companies, Local and International NGOs, Schools / Vocational Training, Local government, Higher Educational Institutions, Sports Governing Bodied / Instistutions, and Media Institutions;
• Serve as the main contact for all local strategic and implementation partner organizations relating to TSC programs;
• Provide recommendations to Social Work Officer or Coaches in the development of MOUs with local implementing partners like Railway Children, Upendo Daima;
• Promote knowledge of TSC mandate and values through responsible representation of TSC amongst all stakeholders and potential partners;
• Ensure programs implemented by partner organizations are in line with MOUs;
• Identification of organizations that are aligned with achievement of RTP objectives of individual and community capacity building and healthy child development;
Job Responsibility #4:
STRATEGIC PLAN DEVELOPMENT
To work with Sports Programme Director (SPD) to develop new 5 Years Strategic Plan of Tanzania Street Children Sports Academy;
Job Responsibility #5:
OTHER PROGRAMME SUPPORT, COACHING AND TOURNAMENTS
- Support the management team in resource development;
- Develop monitoring and evaluation template;
- Provide support and guidance to program staff / coaches, including the provision of technical support to their in program implementation, managing their work through supoorting them to set SMART goals and to do performance review with them;
- Lead the Street Skills sessions & coaching at these as required
- To be involved in and to support the organisation in the provision of courses and training (including Level 2 Street Skills Course) as required
- Lead the arrangements of the annual tournaments including Street Skills and TSC Cup, as well as to ensure effective support to the Coaches during the tournament.
- Develop new training opportunities for coaches and trainee coaches
- To be responsible for logistics behind TSC sessions and maintenance of equipment (including supervising the inventory list).
- Reporting on impacts of sessions
- Attendance and close supervision of the social workers during family visits and monitoring the quality of support provided
- Contribute to looking for new opportunities for projects and funding
- ON the ground monitoring of finances – what is spent and ensuring receipts are kept.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet our outlined criteria should submit an application letter, updated CV, copies of relevant credentials and certificates and at least 2 referees to the Email Link above or to COET, P.O. Box 5082, Mwanza, Tanzania.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted and interviews will take place at the end of September / start of October.