Job Title: Youth Engagement Officer-One Year Contract
Employer: Farm Radio International
Duty Station: Arusha
Application Deadline: 15th August 2014
Farm Radio International (FRI) is a Canadian non-profit organization with a mission to support broadcasters in developing countries to strengthen small scale farming and rural communities. For detailed information please visit our web site; www.farmradio.org.
FRI invites applications from suitably qualified individuals to fill in a position of Youth Engagement Officer (YEO) for its program An Integrated Approach to Addressing the Issue of Youth Depression in
Malawi and Tanzania. The Youth Engagement
Officer will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of the school-based
components of the mental health program.
1. Project Planning
• With guidance from Program manager and support of Senior Program Officer , the YEO will develop and implement a strategy to create radio listening clubs in target secondary schools, and to motivate secondary school students to participate in mental health literacy activities
• The YEO will assist the Senior Program Officer and Program Manager to develop monthly workplans to report on activities
2. Project Implementation
• Work closely with target secondary schools to liaise with students, promote the radio program, identify peer educators and form listening clubs
• Visit target schools on a regular basis to monitor activities and progress towards deliverables
• Design monitoring tools and logsheets
• Assist in the organization and facilitation of peer educator training and activities
• Support all aspects of project implementation and development as requested.
• Actively assist and participate in project events (meetings/workshops/trainings)
• Undertake other program administration tasks as and when necessary
• Liaise with radio hosts from target stations and facilitate site visits for interviews and sound bites from youth clubs
• Set up and manage social media activities
• Facilitate regular focus group discussions with youth from target schools to receive feedback about the radio program
• Minimum 2 years of previous experience in youth engagement
• Experience facilitating focus group discussions with youth
• Reliable, responsible, energetic and creative
• Must be a self-starter
• Excellent English and Swahili communication skills, both written and oral are required.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with community organizations, schools and youth clubs
• Demonstration of honesty, transparency, accountability;
• Proficient with MS Office Suite (e.g., Word, Excel, Project)
• Prior work experience with Communication and Development NGOs preferred.
• Understanding of mental health , and previous experience with youth radio strongly preferred
• Must be willing and able to travel within the Arusha and Meru districts up to 50% of the time
• Age range: 20 to 26 years of age preferred
How to apply:
Applications should include:
- A resume summarizing qualifications and experience;
- An application letter;
- 3 work referees with contact details.
• Please indicate your expectation for salary in your application
• Interested candidates please submit your applications by August 15th, 2014 by email: firstname.lastname@example.org copy to email@example.com
We are sorry that due to time constraint, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.