Job Title: Training Expert (Instructional designer)
Employer: FINCA International Inc - Tanzania
Duty Station: Tanzania
Application Deadline: 30th May 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participates in needs analysis studies to determine training needs within organization.
• Confers with management to gain knowledge of specific work situations requiring employees to better understand changes in policies, procedures, regulations, and technologies.
• Formulates teaching outline and determines instructional methods such as individual training, group instruction, lectures, demonstrations, conferences, meetings, and workshops.
• Selects or develops teaching aids such as training handbooks, demonstration models, multimedia visual aids, computer tutorials, and reference works.
• Selects or develops testing and evaluation procedures to be used at completion of training.
• Tests trainees to measure progress and to evaluate effectiveness of training.
• Reports on progress of employees under guidance during training periods.
• Revises design of training curriculum and methods to improvement effectiveness.
Produce training materials for in house courses as appropriate, make amendments, edit and revise materials as necessary in order to adapt to changes that occur in FINCA
Organize and develop or obtain training manuals, participant guides and course materials such as handouts, case studies, power point presentations, visual materials and reference work.
Develops webinars, online courses, quick reference guides and other resources using standard applications and templates
Create media to support learning e.g. visual aids for face to face, various multimedia for e-learning and online
Adapt instructional materials created for one format to another format e.g. face to face to e-learning or online
• Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
• Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
• Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
• Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
• Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
• Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
• Learning strategies – Selects and uses training or instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
• Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
• Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
• Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
• Develops and conducts training programs for employees of FINCA by performing the following duties. Creates instructional content of FINCA training materials. Designs and develops learning solutions that include web based learning, instructor lead, blended instruction and virtual sessions. Works with subject matter experts to obtain information to be taught and organize it into logical and instructional patterns. This position demonstrates the application of adult learning instructional design to the e-learning industry.
• Knowledge of principles instructional systems design ( ADDIE model) as it relates to the development of training programs
• Proven superior writing skills, including ability to write concise, creative and effective instructions, especially for web based learning and training
• Knowledge of video and audio production
• Proven track record in researching content and transforming content into web based and classroom training
• Complete full training cycle ( assess needs, plan, develop, coordinate, monitor and evaluate)
• Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups and the measurement of training effects
• Knowledge of recent developments, current literature and information related to training
Education & Experience:
• 2 - 3 years experience in the online learning industry, providing instructional deliverables to individuals and groups.
• Bachelors degree in instructional design, Education, Instructional technology, communication, Adult Education or related field
• 3 Years experience with learning management systems, integration and user acceptance.
• Language Skills
• Fluency in English and Local language. Knowledge of French and Swahili desirable
• Computer Skills
• Proficient in the Microsoft Office products as well as Adobe Creative Suite
• Trainers guides
• Participants guides
• Case studies
• Power point presentations
• FINCA Departmental heads and Line Managers
• External Training consultants
• Training Institutions and Resource centers
• Availability to travel 35 % of the time
• Ability to travel in economy class when traveling by air or rail.
This position will be based in any of the following countries; Malawi, Tanzania or Zambia. Applicants must be citizens or must have work authorization for any of the three (3) countries. Applicants seeking to be based in Tanzania must speak and write Swahili in addition to English.
FINCA International Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.