Job Title: Regional Manager
Employer: FINCA International Inc - Tanzania
Duty Station: Tanzania
Application Deadline: 30th May 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
A. People Management:
• Ensure good communication, understanding and acceptance of FINCA Mission among all employees.
• Ensure good team spirit and staff motivation in the Branches including proposing and supervising team building activities (sport games, group activities and community improvement efforts)
• Succession Planning. In cooperation with the HR Department, identify and support development of the talents in the Region.
• Perform on-going mentoring of Branch Managers in leadership skills, staff management techniques, business skills, etc.
• Approve inter-branch relocations of first line staff members (loan officers, banking officers, tellers, etc.) in order to close staffing gaps and increase efficiency.
• Initiate other staff movements (promotion, demotion, transition, termination of the contract, etc. for the CEO approval)
• Ensure that all regional staff have necessary skills to efficiently perform their job. Where there are gaps, define and communicate training needs of staff in the Region to COO & Training Manager.
• Participate as a trainer in leadership, management and key technical trainings of the Branch staff
• Ensure communication of all key management decisions to all staff members in the Region
• Manage directly performance of the Branch Managers.
• Supervise performance management of other Branch staff and participate in the performance management process when necessary.
• Solicit CVs from the region and Participate in the interview of branch staff
• Ensure that all staff members in the Region are well trained on the Customer Service Standards, have full understanding of it, and are able to communicate FINCA Brand to the Customers and apply it consistently in their daily activities
• Ensure that all FINCA offices in the Region are maintained in line with the Branch Maintenance Standards.
• Perform regular interviews and meetings with the existing and potential customers in order to understand customers’ expectations, gaps and potential areas for improvements in customer service. Together with other stakeholders, perform regular actions in order to improve Customer Service and Customers Experience in the Branch.
• Supervise and control implementation of the Regional Growth Strategy and Expansion Plans in line with approved budget and timeline.
• In conjunction with the Branch staff and Marketing Department, plan and supervise execution of the sales Activities in the Region in order to achieve Regional Performance Targets.
• Perform personal sales activities targeting hi-end potential FINCA Customers (corporates, owners of the big businesses, etc.)
• Ensure that all Branches in the Region are sufficiently staffed in order to achieve growth targets.
• Ensure that all staff members of the Branches are have a good knowledge of all products offered by FINCA
• Ensure that all staff members of the Branches in the Region are properly trained on sales and are applying sales techniques during interaction with potential and existing customers
C. Internal controls and portfolio quality
• Review and discuss specific findings with BM and acknowledge IC report to MB. Ensure implementation of agreed IC action plan.
• Ensure appropriate disciplinary actions based on the IC and IA findings are escalated to HR.
• Escalate all compliance issues and suspicious activities to the IC Department
• On a bi-weekly basis, chair Assets Recovery Committees for the Branches where PAR30 exceeds 3%.
• Perform regular spot checks as follows in credit committees meetings, customer visits, product policy interviews, cash counts at branch and ensure that branches are complying with policies:
• verify that all managerial communication from the Head Office has been properly communicated and understood by the Staff Members
• Ensure Branch Managers respond adequately and timely to all raised findings in the Audit report to RM.
• Review Audit Reports with the Branch Managers and submit responses to the COO.
• Ensure that resolution plans for each finding are created in the Audit Follow-up Strategy (Branch management team for local issues and/or RM &Management Board for structural issues)
• Ensure that all findings are resolved according to the Audit follow-up strategy deadlines
D. Planning, Reporting and other duties.
• Provide quarterly reports to the Management Board on the Performance of the Region and key items that require attention of the MB
• As a part of the budgeting process, in conjunction with Branch Managers, develop 12-months Regional Growth Strategy and Expansion Plans based on market potential
• In cooperation with the Branch Managers develop and present for the Management Board approval regional staffing plans in line with business targets. Supervise execution of the Branch staffing budgets.
• Report all timely unresolved IS or Admin issues to the Management Board
• Weekly review Rejection Report, generated by the Banking Services and follow up on rejections with the Branch Managers
• Report all Banking Services related structural issues to the Management Board.
• In order to be able to perform his/her duties effectively, Regional Managers should not perform the following duties:
• Resolution of the admin related issues with Admin Department
• Resolution of the Information Services related issues with IS DepartmentResolution of such issues is a responsibility of the Branch Manager and the Head of the respective unit (Admin or IS). In case RM observes that issues are not resolved in the effective and timely manner s/he must either apply disciplinarymeasures to the BM or escalate case of negligence of duties of the respective department to the Management Board (CEO and COO).
• The Regional manager has the following approval authorities:
• To approve Credit Applications within granted Loan Approval Limits
• To approve relocation of the first-line (Loan Officers, Tellers, Customer Service, Sales Representatives) and middle management staff (Credit Supervisors, Customer Service Officers) within a region. Processing of such relocations is a responsibility of the HR Department.
• To approve Branch Expenses and Procurements up to equivalent of USD 300. The Procurement must be processed by the Admin Department.
• In coordination with the HR Department to issue disciplinary charges to the non-performing Branch Managers and Credit Supervisor.
• To approve Leave Applications for the Branch Managers. After approval these applications should be processed by the HR DepartmentCommunication:While performing his/her duties, RM has following communication lines:
• Management Board: to provide on a quarterly basis formalized report in the Management Board meeting on the performance of the Region and items that require attention of the MB.
• Chief Executive Officer: to report immediately all cases of fraud, negligence of duties by other Head of Departments.
• HR Manager: to communicate on all HR related issues.
• Internal Control: to report all suspicious activities in the Region, to provide feedback on the IC reports, to control implementation of the IC recommendations
• Finance: to receive necessary information
• Banking Services: to provide feedback and proposals for better functioning of the delivery channels and centralized posting units.
• Chief Operating Officer
• Ongoing communication on the business related matters.
• Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.Interpersonal Skills
• Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting;
• Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
• Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations;
• Listens and gets clarification;
• Responds well to questions;
• Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
• Balances team and individual responsibilities;
• Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views;
• Gives and welcomes feedback;
• Contributes to building a positive team spirit;
• Puts success of team above own interests;
• Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives;
• Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
• Exhibits confidence in self and others;
• Inspires and motivates others to perform well;
• Effectively influences actions and opinions of others;
• Accepts feedback from others;
• Gives appropriate recognition to others.
• Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities;
• Makes self-available to staff;
• Provides regular performance feedback;
• Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth;
• Improves processes, products and services.
• Understands business implications of decisions;
• Displays orientation to profitability;
• Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition;
• Aligns work with strategic goals.
• Displays willingness to make decisions;
• Exhibits sound and accurate judgment;
• Supports and explains reasoning for decisions;
• Includes appropriate people in decision-making process;
• Makes timely decisions.
Recruitment & Staffing
• Makes quality hiring decisions,
• Forecasts staffing needs accurately,
• Follows Company hiring process,
• Demonstrates effective interviewing process Achievement
• Overcomes obstacles creatively,
• Consistently achieves business objectives,
• Recognizes and pursues opportunities
• Takes calculated risks to achieve goals
• Convinces others collaboration to achieve a win-win,
• Holds people accountable to work together,
• Fosters mutual accountability to achieve results,
• Develops rapport throughout the Company.
• Conserves organizational resources,
• Works within budget guidelines,
• Assesses ROI on expenditures,
• Adjusts allocations to take advantage of unplanned opportunities
• Subsidiary CEO,
• Management Boards,
• Savings Managers,
• Business, IT, Finance,
• Internal Control & other functional departments,
• Branch/Head Office Staff
Availability to travel (20%-50% of the time)
Ability to travel in economy class when traveling by air or rail
Education and/or Experience/Skills:
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
• The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Advanced people management and motivation skills
• Good understanding of Sales Management and Customer Service
• Excellent communication skills.
• At least 5 years of experience in Banking Sector (Retail, Corporate, Microfinance Business)
• At least 3 years of managerial experience
• Good understanding of the Credit Technology and Risk Management
• University Degree preferably in Commerce, Accounting, Business Administration or related discipline. MBA is an added advantage
• Proven report writing and presentation skills
• Good knowledge of MS Excel, Word, Power Point. knowledge of the Core Banking System is an advantage.
FINCA International Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.