Job Title: National Professional Officer - HIV/AIDS
Employer: World Health Organisation (WHO)
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Application Deadline: 21st May 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Under the guidance and supervision of the WHO Representative, the incumbent will perform the following specific responsibilities:
• V Support the Ministries of Health (Mainland & Zanzibar) in developing strategies for increased and equitable access to H IV prevention services within the health sector (HIV Testing and Counselling, blood safety, STI management, voluntary medical male circumcision, positive health dignity and prevention etc.)
• Provision of quality policy advice and technical support to national authorities, civil society organizations and other stakeholders to fonnulate strategies for HIV interventions for key affected populations
• Assist Ministries of Health to build technical skills as well as streJ9thening organizational capacity for planning and designing routine HIV drug resistance surveillance.
• Provide guidance and technical support to the Ministries of Health for monitoring and evaluating the implementation of health sector component of the national Multi-sectoral response to HIV/AIDS
• To contribute to the work of the AIDS programme related to operational research and the documentation of best practices in HIV prevention, treatment and care;
• Prepares monthly progress reports of activities accomplished.
• Undertake any other tasks/duties as may be assigned from time to time
• University degree in medicine plus advanced degree in any of the following disciplines:
• Public Health, Socio-medical Sciences, Epidemiology, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
• In-depth knowledge and understanding of the local, regional and global responses to HIV and AIDS; v Proven competence in epidemiological surveillance, research and/or modem training skills.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships,
• Experience working with the Ministry of Health, international agency or NGO,
• Minimum of 7 years practical experience in planning, implementing and evaluating HIV/AIDS prevention and control activities,
• Excellent written and oral communication in English and Kiswahili, v Excellent computer skills [n data management and word-processing.
• Experience with the UN and knowledge of UN processes is an advantage.
• Substantial experience of working in collaboration with National Ministries, Non-Governmental, and other UN Organizations
• Experience of the procedures and practices of the World Health Organization
• Experience in the policy development processes associated with environment and sustainable development issues
• Communication: Excellent knowledge of English or Swahili, with ability to work in the other languages. Other Skills (e.g. IT): Excellent knowledge of Microsoft applications (e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc) with an emphasis on Excel or a similar workbook application.
How to Apply:
Applicants will initially be evaluated based on documentation submitted with the application letter, then high ranked applicants will be invited for interview. Therefore, it is essential that applicants submit hard copies of application letter, plus copies of a detailed CV, passport size photograph, copies of certificates and testimonials to WHO Representative,
P.O. Box 9292,
Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.