Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Application Deadline: 16th May 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for working independently but in collaboration with high level government colleagues in the Ministry of Health and the National AIDS Control Programme, TACAIDS on key policy issues that will strengthen access to high quality counselling and testing and other HIV services throughout the country.
• Work collaboratively with MOH and NACP colleagues to carry out annual reviews and revisions, as needed, of counselling and testing policies, guidelines ar'ld protocols in a timely fashion and ensure that they are disseminated to all level of the national health system
• Responsible for addressing policy issues for the development of counselling and testing as key components of integrated public health systems at national, regional, district and community levels.
• Advocate for and formulate plans for ensuring the continued training and professional development in health policies at the national level that will result in policies and guidelines on counselling and testing that respond to new technologies and new methods of delivering state-of-the art, high quality services for all age groups and gender groups including key populations throughout the country regardless of their socio-economic status.
• Identifies opportunities for integrating "state of the art" approaches into the Amref Health Africa led HIV & TB programmes, providing a technical assessment and recommended strategies to pilot innovative interventions
• In liaison with the Senior Management Team, take lead in identification of opportunities for new programme development and write concept papers and proposals consistent with Government of Tanzania priorities and Amref Health Africa strategic approaches
• To provide strategic guidance, oversight and leadership to HIV and TB portfolio in Amref Health Africa Tanzania that is consistent with Amref Health Africa Strategy and Business Plan Advocate and provide leadership on the use of lay counsellors as a recognized part of the formal health care system working alongside nurse counsellors and other medical personnel. Advocate for the expansion of convenient, innovative counselling and testing venues and opportunities through collaborations between the public and private sectors in both conventional and non-convention settings.
• Contribute to strengthen guidelines, policies and practices that will strengthen the cost-effective distribution and tracking of test kits and other supplies to all facilities within the health system including those supported by non-governmental organizations.
• Coordinate HIV & TB programmes to ensure quality and timely implementation including increased operational research, documentation and dissemination of knowledge products from the portfolio
• Spearhead the development & implementation of Amref Health Africa workplace well ness programme
Qualifications & Experience:
• Medical doctor with an advanced degree in social or behavioral sciences, health, public health, or other relevant field is required.
• A doctoral degree in public health or similar field is desired.
• At least 'seven years of senior-level experience in the field of HIV/AIDS and public health is required.
• Extensive experience in programme development including proven track record in proposal writing and implementation of health' interventions and research
• Experience of working with high level government and donor officials in issues related
• Experience in leading and/or participating in national health policies, guidelines and protocol reviews and subsequent dissemination
• Previous experience of working as health or HIV Policy advisor is added advantage
• Fluent in Swahili and English is required. Must possess a working knowledge of technical and programmatic HIV/AIDS & TB issues in Tanzania and the approaches to address them.
• Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective wotking relationships with donor and government counterparts
• Must possess high quality analytical skills and the ability to assess ongoing public health interventions, idsmtify needs and propose solutions
• The ability to communicate openly and effectively in Swahili and English, both orally and in writing, is essential.
• Competent with Microsoft Office package and other basic computer skills are required
• Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work in a team environment is required.
How to Apply:
If you meet the criteria given above and are interested, please send an application letter with CV indicating your present employer and position, daytime telephone contact, names and addresses of two referees. To be considered, your application must be received by on May 16th 2014 to address below;
Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy
AMREF Tanzania Country Office
Ali Hassan Mwinyi Road, Plot No. 1019
P.O. Box 2773,
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Tel: +255-22-2131981/ 2116610/ 2136731
Mob: +255 - 767798081