Job Title: Senior Agronomist
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Application Deadline: 16th April 2014
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate the development of simple, direct training materials, suited to both farmers and extension staff. Work closely with other project agronomists to meet demonstration, training, and farmer adoption objectives. Identify production constraints or bottlenecks and develop means to address them.
• Ensure that projects result in economic, environmental and socially sustainable impact.
• Establish and maintain contacts with private, government agencies, farmer groups and associations, and NGOs involved in commercial agriculture initiatives.
• Work with in collaboration with the agro-input specialist and the seed specialist to ensure the promotion of improved good quality seed and promotion of good agronomic practices to enable farmers respond to market demand and adopt all year round cropping systems
• Work with communications specialist to communicate project successes.
• Minimum Bachelors Degree (Masters preferred) with proven experience in agronomy, soil science, communication and innovation studies related to agriculture or any related field, with at least 10 years of relevant work experience in Africa
• Proven leadership skills; ability to work collaboratively in multi-cultural environments and in multi-disciplinary . teams
• Previous experience working with farmer organizations to build capacity in novel and exciting ways for a variety of skills highly desirable.
• A commitment to and experience in community-based, participatory, field-oriented research and experiential learning approaches.
• Good networking skills; existing relations with government, private, and NGO actors in agricultural production. Farming-as-a-business and post-harvest handling knowledge/experience highly desirable.
• Experience with gender mainstreaming in agriculture projects highly desirable.
• An ability to apply systems perspectives to natural resource management issues
• Excellent communication and reporting skills.
• Willing to travel extensively in Tanzania.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Swahili and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience
• Excellent reporting skills in English.
• Excellent communication skills in Kiswahili
How to Apply:
Applicants should send their application letters attaching copies of CV to:
P. O. Box 33685,
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Coca Cola Road
Off Bagamoyo Road (Mwenge)
Block B, 3rd floor
Citing the job name and job number in the subject line. Any application that does not cite the job name and the job number in the subject line will not be considered.