Job Title: Railway Safety Inspector I – 5 posts
Job REF No. 403
Employer: Surface and Marine Transport Regulatory Authority (SUMATRA)
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Application Deadline: 9th May 2014
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Assists in inspecting railway stations, tracks, level crossings, structures, rolling stock and operating practices to determine compliance to approved safety plan and safety regulations;
• Prepare draft proposals of written recommendations for the correction of hazardous conditions;
• Assists in investigating complaints against alleged unsafe railway practices and conditions;
• Assists in inspecting the quality of service and makes improvement recommendations and directives;
• Participates in field investigations of railway accidents; and
• Carries out sensitization training of railway personnel and the public with a view to enhancing the safety of employees, passengers and the general public;
• Prepares and maintains reports and written correspondence related to the Department;
• Performs other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
Minimum qualifications and Requirements:
• Holder of University Bachelor’s degree or advanced diploma in Engineering
• (Civil, Electrical, Mechanical or Electro Mechanical Techniques), or its equivalent;
• At least three (3) years of working experience in a reputable institution; and
• Experience in safety inspection on railway infrastructure, rolling stocks or related auto-motives will be an added advantage.
• Demonstrate highest degree of integrity;
• Possess good communication and interpersonal skills;
• Be self-driven and capable of working with minimal supervision;
• Be capable of delivering excellent results while working under pressure with tight schedules and deadlines;
• Possess basic knowledge in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) application, such as; Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Access, Outlook etc.
Terms of Employment
Successful candidates will be employed on Unspecified Period of Contract (Permanent and Pensionable Terms). However, the employment will only be confirmed after completion of six (6) months’ probation period with candidate’s successful performance.
How to Apply:
Applications should be on applicants’ handwriting indicating the reference number (Ref. No.) of the application, accompanied with detailed curriculum vitae (CV) providing names, positions and detailed contacts of three (3) reliable referees, and copies of relevant certificates and transcripts.
Application letter and the envelope should bear the Ref. No. of the post applied.
Application without Ref. No. will not be considered.
Applications with statement/Provisional results or Statements of Results from the
Issuing Authority (e.g. NECTA, University, College) where the Certificates have already been issued will not be considered, thus, need not to apply.
Application should be submitted in envelope to the address below. Any application received after the due date will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for Interview.
Sumatra Head Office,
Ali Hassan Mwinyi Rd/Nkomo St.
P. O. Box 3093,
Dar es Salaam.