Job Title: Maritime Monitoring Officer II - 2 Posts
Job REF No. 404
Employer: Surface and Marine Transport Regulatory Authority (SUMATRA)
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Application Deadline: 9th May 2014
Duties & Responsibilities:
• To receive and handle messages through the Global Maritime Distress System (GMDSS) and other equipment at the MRCC;
• To monitor performance of equipment at the MRCC;
• To plot navigational positions on charts;
• To timely report faults in respect of the MRCC equipment;
• To keep records of messages received through the MRCC and the action taken;
• To handle messages received through the National LRIT Data Centre and action taken;
• To assist in activities for the coordination of the national of oil pollution preparedness and response;
• To assist in the coordination activities for the national maritime search and rescue (SAR) services;
• To ensure that individual objectives/targets and performance standards are developed as part of the individual performance agreement in consultation with the immediate superior;
• To perform any other relevant duties assigned from time to time by the Supervisor.
Minimum qualifications and Requirements:
• University Degree in Computer Science and Information, Telecommunication Engineering or Advanced Diploma in Nautical Science, Maritime Transportation or Master on ships up to 3000 GT (STCW Regulation II/2); and
• At least one year of working experience to the related field.
• Demonstrate highest degree of integrity;
• Possess good communication and interpersonal skills;
• Be self-driven and capable of working with minimal supervision;
• Be capable of delivering excellent results while working under pressure with tight schedules and deadlines;
• Possess basic knowledge in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) application, such as; Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Access, Outlook etc.
Terms of Employment
Successful candidates will be employed on Unspecified Period of Contract (Permanent and Pensionable Terms). However, the employment will only be confirmed after completion of six (6) months’ probation period with candidate’s successful performance.
How to Apply:
Applications should be on applicants’ handwriting indicating the reference number (Ref. No.) of the application, accompanied with detailed curriculum vitae (CV) providing names, positions and detailed contacts of three (3) reliable referees, and copies of relevant certificates and transcripts.
Application letter and the envelope should bear the Ref. No. of the post applied.
Application without Ref. No. will not be considered.
Applications with statement/Provisional results or Statements of Results from the
Issuing Authority (e.g. NECTA, University, College) where the Certificates have already been issued will not be considered, thus, need not to apply.
Application should be submitted in envelope to the address below. Any application received after the due date will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for Interview.
Sumatra Head Office,
Ali Hassan Mwinyi Rd/Nkomo St.
P. O. Box 3093,
Dar Es Salaam.