Job Title: Field Assistant -Irrigation & Water Management
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Application Deadline: 16th April 2014
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Provide support in the analysis of the water resource and advice on the appropriate irrigation water utilization methods to ensure water conservation for cereal production; meet with water resource agencies and advise management on water conservation policy; develop area/crop specific plan for water and irrigation utilization.
• Provide support in the rolling out of the water engineer’s recommendation's 011 new irrigation and water management practices appropriate to the area of operation; may also include irrigation design, service and procurement (appropriate pumping systems.
• Provide input for district level water conservation planning and for development and revision of training handbook;
• provide support in the development and implementation of the training program in water conservation for sta supervise temporary workers;
• Maintain close links with other projects for collaboration at the district level.
• Ensuring target achievement in terms of plan, budget and establishment of Water Management demo plots in the area of assignment as per introduced water management solutions, equipment, processes and procedures.
• Prepares regular field reports weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual, internal correspondence and sections of formal reports with supervision and review of project managers.
• Timely submission of detailed demo reports on establishment and trainings pertaining to :-Vater Management including contact details of trainers/trainees.
• Development of water management plan with the DCO that supports the rice and maize production strategy for the Project
• Generate quality leads and build relationships with contacts within his area.
• Performs regular field investigations, inspections and backstopping for the project as required for the irrigation and water management systems.
• Manage and build relationships with District water authorities and irrigation equipment suppliers across the project assigned region so that agriculture input supplier direct relationship remains top priority.
• People Management -Maintaining conducive professional relationship with all business partners.
• Represent the project in a positive and professional manner. Strong work ethics
• Willingness to put in the time necessary to maintain an effective schedule to meet needs of organization Superior people skills and a motivated team player
• Enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
• Ability to multitask & prioritize
• Ability to work independently without direct supervision
• Diploma, or equivalent education in Agriculture Engineering Discipline (Civil or Environmental preferred), Advanced degree preferred.
• 2-5+ years of experience in performing water resources studies, investigations, and designs.
• Skilled in basic or standard field procedures and techniques.
• Experienced in writing technical studies and reports, collecting field data, and writing internal correspondence.
• Knowledgeable in sampling techniques for soil. surface water, storm water, and other environmental media.
• Minimum of 60% field work is required and expected.
• Excellent organizational & time management skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Swahili and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience
• Computer knowledge; MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, AutoCAD, water resource modeling and database programs, preferred.
• Detail oriented
How to Apply:
Applicants should send their application letters attaching copies of CV to:
P. O. Box 33685,
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Coca Cola Road
Off Bagamoyo Road (Mwenge)
Block B, 3rd floor
Citing the job name and job number in the subject line. Any application that does not cite the job name and the job number in the subject line will not be considered.