Job Title: Programme Assistant - Immunization and Vaccine Emergencies
Employer: World Health Organisation (WHO)
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Application Deadline: 3rd April 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Draft general or administrative correspondence on own initiative or on the basis of instructions; finalize correspondence/reports for signature/clearance.
• Verify that outgoing correspondence is presented in accordance with WHO and department styles and checking language, grammar and accuracy prior to submitting for signature and clearance.
• Analyze incoming correspondence and requests in the light of background material, instructions, policies and precedents, researching, obtaining and attaching
• background information in anticipation of the responsible officer's needs, or redirecting them as appropriate; identify and highlight incoming documents and attach background information and identify areas requiring action by professional staff, drawing their attention to specific items.
• Ensure that technical report and documents are in line with WHO standards, rules, practices and procedures, editing and correcting them as necessary prior to their submission for signature or clearance of relevant authority.
• Using appropriate tracking tools, follow-up on and ensure that target dates and deadlines are met, and that correspondence and queries are responded to in a timely manner
• Arranges, coordinate and lead administrative preparation for meetings, seminars, workshops, including letters of invitation, costs calculation and travel requests; assisting with preparation of documents, dispatching of materials and liaising with participants and others involved.
• Prepare presentations using PowerPoint and other software packages on own initiative own the basis of instructions.
• Schedule weekly team and ad hoc meetings, according to schedules and need; taking and preparation of minutes.
• Obtain briefing and background materials for meetings, seminars, workshops, etc. t~ be attended by the team's professional staff, checking their availability and ensuring they have the appropriate briefing files and documents. .
• Experience in administrative support positions in WHO or another UN agency is an asset. Experience: in Oracle-based or other ERP systems is an asset;
• Using GSM/Oracle, prepare travel requests for official WHO travels. Make flight and hotel reservations, prepare travel files and deal with other related matters as requested or on own initiative.
• Maintains financial record and financial transaction relating to IVEProgramme in the GSM environment;
• Assists in generating reports from the Global Management system; also prepares recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required to facilitate financial implementation analysis;
• Initiate and responds to queries and correspondences on accounts and financial transactions a required;
• Essential: Advanced Diploma in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration or equivalent.
• Desirable; Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance.
• Experience Essential: At least 7 to 10 years of experience in administrative or clerical positions preferably with several years experience in the UN.
• Languages: Excellent knowledge of English and Swahili. Knowledge of French would be an asset.
• Other Skills (e.g. IT): Excellent knowledge of Microsoft applications (e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc) with an emphasis on Excel or a similar workbook application.
Grade level; GS6 As per United Nations general services scale Fixed Term
Duration; 2 Years renewable (with first year on probation)
Dar es Salaam
How to Apply:
Applicants will initially be evaluated based on documentation submitted with the application letter, then high ranked applicants will be invited for interview. Therefore, it is essential that applicants submit hard copies of application letter, plus copies of a detailed CV, passport size photograph, copies of certificates and testimonials to WHO Representative,
Attention: operations Officer,
P.O. Box 9292,
Dar Es Salaam,
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Application can also be submitted through the apply now button below
This vacancy is open to candidates of either sex. Women applicants are encouraged. Only candidates who meet all these requirements will be considered and shortlisted for test and interview.