Employer: Africa Volunteer Corps
Duty Station: Moshi, Tanzania
Application Deadline: 20th March 2014
Africa Volunteer Corps is hiring a Business Development Officer to be in charge of revenue generation, including both traditional fundraising (such as institutional grants and major donor contributions) and more innovative funding (such as social businesses run from within Africa that generate income for the organization).
AVC is looking for an original, creative thinker, someone who wants to blaze a trail and show that it can be done. We are looking for someone who can really think about the long term, while also being detail-oriented in planning and implementing projects.
We are looking for someone to oversee all the various revenue streams, be they more traditional non-profit fundraising, new types of non-profit financing, or social enterprise income generation. In addition, you must also be able to manage those projects as well as the teams of people working on them. You will work closely with the AVC Directors, Board, Marketing and Communications Officer, and other staff.
Africa Volunteer Corps’ mission is to nurture a generation of African leaders dedicated to strengthening homegrown development by providing opportunities for practical training and job placement. The overarching goal of Africa Volunteer Corps is to harness the power of motivated, educated Africans and put it to use for locally-initiated development projects in Africa, opening doors for Africans to leverage their own resources and strengthening grassroots development efforts. Creating a springboard for leaders and bolstering ground-up social change efforts, we position Africans to drive development on their own continent.
The Business Development Officer will have the opportunity help an innovative organization grow and scale. You have an opportunity to take a leading role in shaping the future of the organization as well as the future of Africa. The ideal candidate is self-directed and well-organized, has excellent time-management skills and is able to thrive in a start-up environment, which involves some risk taking and much learning as we go. We are seeking a person who wants to shift the paradigm, who wants an ownership stake in this movement to create massive change.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Business Development Officer will be in charge of fundraising and income generation. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Researching, planning, initiating, and leading the implementation of income generating projects and social businesses in Tanzania and/or other parts of Africa
• Identifying and applying for grants from institutional funders
• Identifying possible partners and building relationships within the social sector
• Identifying and building relationships for corporate funding and sponsorship
• Identifying and building relationships with Major Donor prospects
• Working with Marketing and Communications Officer on donor relations
• Knowledge of social enterprise
• Knowledge of management and business development
• Knowledge of and experience with fundraising, including grant research and writing
• Experience with development
• Ability for both big-picture thinking and detail-oriented thinking
• Ability to thrive in a start-up environment
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to work independently and with a team
• Ability to manage people and to delegate
• A fire in your belly to create big change in the world
• A no-matter-what attitude and an ability to overcome challenges
• Ability and desire to blaze a trail and think beyond business-as-usual
• A sense of humor
• Strong writing and verbal communication skills
• Fluency in written and spoken English
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter through the apply now button below with the subject “Business Development Director - First name LAST NAME”. The deadline for application is March 20th. Qualified candidates will be contacted.