Job Title: Warehouse and Distribution Director - 1 Posts
Employer: John Snow, Inc. (JSI) – Tanzania
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam
Application Deadline: 17th February 2014
• The Warehousing and Distribution Director will work closely with JSI Tanzania staff and other appropriate staff on W &D technical assistance activities.
• The Director for W & D will also lead in the development of specific country strategies and initiatives aimed at increasing the adoption of best practices in addition to participating in various technical working groups. S/he will work with field office staff to identify and support the optimization of the warehousing and distribution infrastructure, processes, policy, technologies and human resources to meet the needs of the supply chains in country.
• S/he will review W & D TA reports and other deliverables to ensure quality.
• The W & D Director is responsible for building the capacity of the Medical Stores Department (MSD) in warehousing and distribution so that it may fulfill its crucial mandate to ensure the availability of quality commodities throughout the country.
• S/he will provide technical assistance to institutionalize sound, efficient and effective drug storage (warehousing) and distribution system for MSD.
• In addition, s/he will also provide direct support to counties and health centers through constant supervisory visits to ensure that drugs are properly stored.
• Collaborate with and support the Medical Stores Department (MSD), Central Medical Stores (CMS) in Zanzibar and other key partners to promote, and build support for good warehousing and distribution practices;
• Provide technical assistance to MOHSW departments, donors, NGOs and other cooperating agencies in the design and implementation of good warehousing and distribution practices in the context of integrated public health systems integrated;
• Lead warehousing and distribution management training and other performance improvement interventions;
• Contribute to the development of performance improvement plans including preparation of strategic, quarterly and annual work plans, and the monitoring and evaluation of the impact of Warehousing and Distribution activities;
• In collaboration with the JSI Tanzania staff and other appropriate stakeholders, develop a comprehensive strategy and framework for W& D activities
• Apply industry best practice to defining the warehousing and distribution to support:
a. warehouse assessments and post-implementation reviews
b. optimization of storage, distribution networks and transportation routes
c. business process re-engineering, SOPs, and organizational restructuring
d. SOPs development, training, and other organizational development
e. Introduction of modernization technology or processes such as RF, bar-coding, fast-picking environments, etc.
• Work across technical areas to integrate key related functions of supply chain such as quantification, procurement, inventory management while planning, implementing and monitoring warehousing and distribution efforts in every country.
• Develop a results management framework for W& D work and identify key performance indicators to measure the success and impact of W & D technical assistance activities to MSD, CMS and other stakeholders and partners.
• Coordinate information sharing and dissemination of lessons learned and best practices in W & D within and outside the project.
• Ensure the quality of technical work conducted in W & D including review of technical reports.
• Provide summary documents and reports on W&D activities as requested by the Country Directors or Deputy Country Directors
• Lead the development of training materials related to W & D technical assistance work.
• Support the Country Directors or Deputy Country Directors to ensure that all technical areas of the project are integrated and making the most effective and efficient use of all project resources;
• Assist with the writing of monthly, quarterly and other contractual reports on progress made in the field to the Country Directors or Deputy Country Directors
• Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
• Advanced degree in Logistics/Supply Chain Management/Industrial Engineering. Undergraduate or other degree with relevant backgrounds and/or relevant commercial sector supply chain experience will also be considered.
• At least ten years warehouse and distribution experience preferably from modern commercial sector. Experience with warehouse operational challenges in resource limited countries highly desirable.
• Five or more years’ experience in providing technical assistance in implementing supply chain system solutions in warehouse management, distribution.
• Experience with most commonly used warehouse management systems (WMS)
• Demonstrated experience with the steps of the design and implementation of a WMS and/or a Supply Chain ERP system
• Demonstrated experience with warehouse infrastructure development or improvement projects (warehouse assessment, design, specifications of hardware and material handling equipment, cold chain, ventilation, etc.)
• Working experience in Tanzania
• Demonstrated experience evaluating impact of investments in improving supply chain performance.
• Excellent English and Kiswahili written and oral communication skills
• Proven ability to work as part of an internationally diverse team and to be self-managing
• Suitable computer skills with spread sheet and word processing, preferably Microsoft Office package, Basic GIS package or other warehouse design and/or distribution network analysis and optimization software
• Ability to travel internationally for about 40% of the time with very short notice
The following qualifications are desirable:
• Experience developing competency-based training programs and materials incorporating adult-learning theory for building the capacity of staff at all levels of the supply chain, especially in warehouse operations.
• Experience with quantitative supply chain modeling approaches
• Experience in applying supply chain metrics and bench marking
• Experience in computerizing or automating logistics functions
• Experience working with international partners such as USAID, the World Health Organization, the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, and the World Bank
• Experience with USAID-funded projects
A competitive remuneration and benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate for the above positions based on qualification, experience and salary history.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV and resume to:
Human Resource Manager
John Snow, Inc.
Plot No. 392,
Toure Drive, Masaki
P.O .Box 9263
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.