Monday, 17 February 2014
Principal Trade Officer Jobs at EAC Secretariat in Tanzania
Job Title: Principal Trade Officer (International Trade)
Job REF: EAC/HR/2013/062
Employer: EAC Secretariat
Duty Station: Arusha - Tanzania
Application Deadline: 6th March 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervision of staff and planning of activities of the International Trade Department.
• Develop mechanisms on how EAC relates to other trading blocs.
• Prepare briefs and other papers for trade negotiations on EPA, WTO among others.
• Facilitate meetings of trade and investment experts and provide necessary guidance.
• Communicate to Partner States on decisions of Council, and enacted laws on Trade issues.
• Coordinate the formulation of trade policy for EAC Partner States and oversee its implementation.
• Study and advise on required institutional and legal framework on promotion of trade in EAC Partner States.
• Coordinate consultants undertaking research and consultant work in international trade.
• Regularly follow-up international trade globally and inform the Community and Partner States.
• Identify training needs and develop appropriate training on negotiation skills and trade facilitation in the EAC.
• Assist in collecting trade data and analysis and advise Partner States accordingly.
• Follow up on implementation of Council decisions and prepare progress and annual reports; and
Qualifications and Experience:
• A Masters degree in the field of Economics or Business Administration or equivalent qualification from a recognized University related field with special focus on international trade or international business.
• 10 years experience in the field of international trade or related fields with five (5) years at a senior level.
• Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions will be an added advantage.
Skills and Competences:
• Strong technical and analytical capabilities and skills for developing mechanisms for data collection;
• Excellent drafting and report writing skills;
• Excellent organizational skills, ability to handle multiple tasks without compromising quality and team spirit building skills;
• Excellent Computer skills,
• Strong monitoring and evaluation skills and
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; negotiation skills and ability to work independently in a diverse environment.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
All post is tenable on a five (5) year contract term renewable subject to satisfactory
performance and mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
The above position is also subject to the application of the EAC Quota System.
In line with the provisions of the EAC Staff Rules and Regulations,
Candidates whose age will be 55 years at the time of appointment will not be eligible.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport
allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
For more information, visit our website: www.eac.int.
How to Apply
All interested candidates should submit their applications by registered mail, courier service, e-mail or dispatch together with Curriculum Vitae, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three referees, and day time telephone contact to:
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. O. Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Fax No: +255 27 2504255/ +255 27 2050281
Female Candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The East African Community will only respond to those candidates who meet its requirements.