Job Title: Principal Customs Officer (Tariff & Valuation)
Job REF: EAC/HR/2013/059
Employer: EAC Secretariat
Duty Station: Arusha - Tanzania
Application Deadline: 6th March 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise staff and plan the activities of the Tariff and Valuation Department.
• Undertake overall administration and monitoring in the application of the EAC Common External Tariff (CET) of the EAC.
• Provide technical advice, guidance and liaise with Partner States Customs administrations on Customs Tariff and Nomenclature.
• Initiate and coordinate studies and carry out research on customs tariff, valuation and rules of origin.
• Initiate review of the EAC tariff regimes based on the policy requirements and
• WCO updated versions of the harmonised description and coding system. 2
• Work closely with World Customs Organization regarding new development in the Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding Systems (HS) and ensure the decisions of the WCO regarding classification of goods is promptly disseminated to the Partner States.
• Coordinate and monitor the implementation of the Community tariff preference in accordance with the Customs Union Protocol.
• Develop strategies and plans on EAC tariff regime and valuation system consistent with WTO/WCO Agreements and Conventions.
• Liaise with Principal Trade Officer (Internal Trade) on the evaluation of trade flows and development of EAC Trade Reports.
• Develop systems for exchange of information on administrative rulings on classification and valuation of goods between Partner States Customs administration.
• Identify training needs and capacity building requirements and develop regional training programmes on customs valuation, classification and rules of origin.
• Disseminate information and sensitise stakeholders including development of user manuals on tariff, valuation and rules of origin.
• Coordinate, monitor and facilitate the administration and implementation of EAC Rules of Origin in EAC including circulation of signatures, verification and investigation processes, arbitration and provision of technical input.
• Facilitate meetings related to Customs technical aspects of valuation, classification and Rules of Origin.
• Follow up on the implementation of Council Decisions and prepare progress reports.
Qualifications and Experience:
• A Master’s Degree in Economics, Commerce, Business Administration, Customs, Law or an equivalent qualification from a recognised University. Specialized training in Customs is a must.
• 10 years’ experience related to customs and trade policies with five (5) years at senior level. Specialized training in Customs valuation and classification is essential.
Skills and Competences:
• Proficiency in computer applications, innovation, mentoring, performance management,
• Planning, project development and management, team building, negotiation, networking, research, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
All post is tenable on a five (5) year contract term renewable subject to satisfactory
performance and mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
The above position is also subject to the application of the EAC Quota System.
In line with the provisions of the EAC Staff Rules and Regulations,
Candidates whose age will be 55 years at the time of appointment will not be eligible.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport
allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
For more information, visit our website: www.eac.int.
How to Apply
All interested candidates should submit their applications by registered mail, courier service, e-mail or dispatch together with Curriculum Vitae, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three referees, and day time telephone contact to:
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. O. Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Fax No: +255 27 2504255/ +255 27 2050281
Female Candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The East African Community will only respond to those candidates who meet its requirements.