Job Title: Principal Clerk Assistant
Job Ref: EAC/HR/2013/075
Employer: East African Legislative Assembly
Duty Station: Arusha - Tanzania
Application Deadline: 6th March 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serve as Clerk- At- Table when the Assembly is in Session.
• Assist in drawing up of Order Papers for Business and preparing
• Votes proceedings of the Assembly.
• Provide procedural and legislative advice to the Speaker and members.
• Provide technical support to members when preparing Private Members’
• Bills, Amendments to Bills, Motions, petitions and Questions.
• Facilitate Committee meetings/Sittings.
• Conduct legislative research for Committees and members.
• Coordinate planning, execution and follow-up of Committee activities.
• Prepare agendas and other documentation for Committee meetings.
• Establish and maintain a records/documentation system for Committees and Plenary. 2
• Supervise Senior Clerk Assistants and establish performance standards for them.
• Prepare progress and annual reports.
Qualifications and Experience:
• A Masters Degree in Public Administration, law, Social Sciences or equivalent qualification from a recognized University.
• 10 years of experience with at least 5 years at the level of Senior Clerk Assistant.
• Specialized training in Parliamentary Procedures
• And knowledge of operations of a regional Parliament is essential.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
• Good knowledge of parliamentary procedures,
• Administrative skills, drafting skills,
• Analytical skills,
• Research skills,
• Supervisory skills,
• Interpersonal skills,
• Negotiating skills,
• Networking skills,
• Public relations,
• Computer skills,
• Report writing skills and computer skills.
Terms and Conditions of Service
All post is tenable on a five (5) year contract term renewable subject to satisfactory performance and mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
The above position is also subject to the application of the EAC Quota System.
In line with the provisions of the EAC Staff Rules and Regulations,
Candidates whose age will be 55 years at the time of appointment will not be eligible.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
For more information, visit our website: www.eac.int;
How to Apply:
All interested candidates should submit their applications by registered mail, courier service, e-mail or dispatch together with Curriculum Vitae, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three referees, and day time telephone contact to:
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. O. Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Fax No: +255 27 2504255/ +255 27 2050281
Female Candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The East African Community will only respond to those candidates who meet its requirements.