Monday, 17 February 2014
Principal Administrative Officer Jobs at EAC Secretariat in Arusha
Job Title: Principal Administrative Officer
Job REF: EAC/HR/2013/064
Employer: EAC Secretariat
Duty Station: Arusha - Tanzania
Application Deadline: 6th March 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensure cost effective and efficient procurement of goods and services.
• Provide protocol services to visitors and dignitaries.
• Liaise with the Ministries of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the
• Partner States in respect of Immunities and Privileges of EAC Staff in accordance with Article (73) of the Treaty establishing the EAC and the Headquarters Agreement including handling of diplomatic correspondences on Identity Cards, accreditation, visas, and resident permits.
• Ensure practical working relations with the East African Court of Justice and the East African Legislative Assembly.
• Handle management of transport, including planning, allocation, maintenance, insurance, vehicle registration, controlling and accounting for fuel and making regular reports.
• Liaise with the Accounts Section to ensure payments for goods and services delivered are effected.
• Facilitate audit exercises in relation to administrative services.
• Carry out general office management and coordinate provision of conference, protocol, procurement, and security and estates management services.
• Prepare progress and annual reports and follow up on implementation of Council and Summit decisions related to administrative matters of the Community.
Qualifications and Experience:
• A Masters Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration or equivalent qualification from a recognized University.
• 10 years of experience in a similar or related position with 5 at senior level. Substantial
• Knowledge of procurement procedures and consular/protocol services is essential.
• Experience in working with similar organisations or institutions will be an added advantage.
Skills and Competencies:
• Analytical skills, administrative skills, organization skills, communication skills, decision making skills, negotiation skills, team building skills, networking skills, result oriented skills, supervisory skills, management skills, leadership skills, research skills, negotiation skills, networking, and computer skills.
• Ability to work under minimum supervision, innovativeness, problem-solving, working in a multi-cultural environment and managing diversity.
• Must be proficient in computer applications.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
All post is tenable on a five (5) year contract term renewable subject to satisfactory performance and mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
The above position is also subject to the application of the EAC Quota System.
In line with the provisions of the EAC Staff Rules and Regulations,
Candidates whose age will be 55 years at the time of appointment will not be eligible.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
For more information, visit our website: www.eac.int.
How to Apply
All interested candidates should submit their applications by registered mail, courier service, e-mail or dispatch together with Curriculum Vitae, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three referees, and day time telephone contact to:
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. O. Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Fax No: +255 27 2504255/ +255 27 2050281
Female Candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The East African Community will only respond to those candidates who meet its requirements.