Job Title: Principal Economist (Fiscal and Monetary Affairs)
Job REF: EAC/HR/2013/060
Employer: EAC Secretariat
Duty Station: Arusha - Tanzania
Application Deadline: 6th March 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate and facilitate the formulation and harmonisation of regional Fiscal and Monetary policies;
• Coordinate activities related to the implementation of the EAC Monetary Union;
• Liaise with Ministries of Finance and Central banks for the establishment of a single market in financial sector;
• Conduct research and prepare background papers relating to the above sectors;
• Monitor the harmonisation of Fiscal and Monetary Policies by Partner States and their implementation;
• Develop terms of reference on studies relating to the fiscal, monetary and financial sector and coordinate the studies;
• Follow-up on implementation of decisions of the Council and prepare progress reports;
• Coordinate the formulation and implementation of Fiscal, Monetary and Exchange Rate Policies to ensure sound macro economic and financial stability among Partner States;
• Facilitate the Sectoral Council on Finance and Economic Affairs and related
• Committee Meetings;
• Prepare annual and progress reports.
Qualifications and Experience:
• A Master’s Degree in Economics, Economic Policy and Planning, , Economic policy and quantitative methods, Financial Economics, Economic Policy Management, Development Economics or an equivalent qualification from a recognised University.
• 10 years of experience with five (5) years at senior level in the field of macro-economic policy formulation and management.
• Knowledge and experience in regional economic integration is an added advantage.
Skills and Competencies:
• Analytical skills, presentation skills, research skills, international skills, computer skills, communication skills, monitoring and evaluation skills, project proposal writing skills, resource mobilisation, decision-making, problem-solving, innovativeness, negotiation and report writing skills.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
All post is tenable on a five (5) year contract term renewable subject to satisfactory
performance and mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
The above position is also subject to the application of the EAC Quota System.
In line with the provisions of the EAC Staff Rules and Regulations,
Candidates whose age will be 55 years at the time of appointment will not be eligible.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport
allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
For more information, visit our website: www.eac.int.
How to Apply
All interested candidates should submit their applications by registered mail, courier service, e-mail or dispatch together with Curriculum Vitae, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three referees, and day time telephone contact to:
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. O. Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Fax No: +255 27 2504255/ +255 27 2050281
Female Candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The East African Community will only respond to those candidates who meet its requirements.