Job Title: Horticulture Manager, Coastal Rural Support Program (Tanzania)
Employer: Aga Khan Foundation (AKF)
Duty Station: Lindi, Mtwara, Tanzania.
Application Deadline: 14th March 2014
• Overall program implementation and monitoring, developing and maintaining Government and private sector partner relationships, and fiscal and administrative management of all activities and personnel of the horticulture value chain program with support from the Program Director, FSI manager and staff,.
• Ensuring quality, impact and cost effectiveness of the project.
• Design and implement training through the Participatory Learning and Action Research (PLAR) method, where farmers learn through demonstration and from other farmers, using a mass delivery approach, and will include conservation agriculture within the production systems for the chosen crops.
Qualifications / Experience:
• Minimum of BSc in Agriculture or related field. Preferably a Masters in Agricultural Economics but candidates with experience will be looked at closely.
• Minimum of 5 years' experience in agriculture and business in a private sector company working in production of vegetables and or fruit.
• Commitment to teamwork with minimal supervision. Must have a good sense for efficiency and effectiveness, and an eye for innovation.
• A strong work ethic, energetic, creative, and willing to learn. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong understanding of horticultural production and market systems (market development) and how to pursue marketing opportunities for vegetables and fruit
• Must be willing to live in Mtwara, Tanzania and spend long periods in rural areas
• Previous experience working with small scale farmers, contract farming and private sector.
• Previous management experience. Speaking Swahili would be an advantage
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are requested to submit their CVs (not exceeding 3 pages), including contact details for three professional references, and a covering letter explaining why they are best suited for the particular position, to the Country Director, Aga Khan Foundation Office, P.O. Box 125, Dar-es-Salaam or by e-mail