Job Title: General Manager
Employer: Wonder Workshop
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Application Deadline: 9th March 2014
Daily overall management:
• Overall financial planning and management of budget to make sure Wonder Workshop will be financially self-sustainable.
• Costing of products and monitoring of profitability of sections.
• Overall human resource management; functional and disciplinatory actions, staff assessments, staff training and recruitment of new staff.
• Management of administration officer, supervisors, guards and shop manager.
• Management of production for all sections.
• Implementation and management of sales and marketing activities.
• Quality control; ensure quality of all products is well maintained.
• Creation and implementation of a strategic plan for the development of Wonder Workshop including a sales and marketing plan.
Sales and marketing:
• To develop and open new markets and grow the current client base. This includes ensuring that all residents of Dar es Salaam know who we are and where we are; through e-mail, flyers, posters, talks at groups and societies, advertising, parties, fairs and shows at the Workshop.
• Work with hotels in growing tours to the workshop, flyers in rooms, lobby pieces.
• Manage all group visits/tours to the Workshop.
• Manage all workshops organized at and by Wonder Workshop.
• Manage all on-site and off-site trade shows and craft fairs; including booking, planning products for sale, planning the execution and the event itself.
• Develop new shows/events at the Wonder Workshop site.
• Deal with all individual customer issues.
• Develop our marketing materials; designing of printed materials, designing of self-developed materials and managing of all internet based social media. Constantly build the email network for mail shots and keep the website up to date.
• Coordinating of all media/PR issues.
• Develop new products within each section and develop new ranges of products.
• Experiment with turning new waste materials into art for commercial sale.
• Raise funds, write funding proposals, report to donors on progress and manage implementation of funded projects.
• Any other jobs/roles at the discretion of the Chairman or Executive Committee.
Profile of candidate Personality:
• Self starter
• Self driven
• Strong personality
• Solution focused
• Business mind
• Out of the box thinker
• At least 3 years of professional work experience.
• Work experience in a developing country.
• Prior experience in working in a (social) business.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
• Work experience in Tanzania.
• Prior experience in leading a (social) business.
• Experience in the art and craft sector.
• Prior working experience with people living with a disability.
• Knowledge of Kishwahili
Terms of contract:
We offer a two year contract. The contract offered is a semi-volunteer, local contract and open to local as well as expatriate applicants.
How to apply
Please e-mail us (email@example.com) your CV of maximum 3 pages including 3 references and explain in one A4 page why you are the one we need for this position and what you want to achieve in your time with us. Put ‘Project Manager Application’ in the title line of the e-mail.