Job Title: Director of Trade
Job REF: EAC/HR/2013/57
Employer: EAC Secretariat
Duty Station: Arusha - Tanzania
Application Deadline: 6th March 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Advise and guide on optimizing regional integration in the field of trade.
• Monitor implementation of trade policies.
• Formulate projects and programmes to enable the East African region maximise on preferential trade arrangements such as AGOA and EBA.
• Develop a monitoring mechanism for elimination of non-tariff barriers to cross border trade.
• Coordinate and promote Partner States commitment to working towards liberalisation of trade in services.
• Facilitate development of a framework in which legal, professional and other barriers to trade in professional business and related services are removed. 2
• Facilitate the development of undertaking/adoption of common positions against illegal dumping of toxic wastes.
• Promote the harmonisation of export promotion schemes.
• Facilitate the building of capacity to negotiate in various international arrangements such as WTO.
• Prepare progress and annual reports and follow up on implementation of Council and Summit Decisions.
• Provide technical guidance to Professional Staff and Experts under the Directorate of Trade.
• Liaise with other Directorates such as the Directorate of Customs to develop and sustain operational and strategic synergies required to promote the EAC Integration Agenda.
Qualifications and Experience:
• A Masters Degree in Economics, Commerce, Business Administration or equivalent qualification from a recognised University with specialised training in trade issues.
• 15 years relevant experience in a trade related field with at least 8 years at senior management level in a large Organization.
Skills and Competencies:
• Analytical skills, planning skills, organization skills, communication skills, decisionmaking skills, negotiation skills, team building skills, networking skills, result oriented skills, supervisory skills, management skills, leadership skills, research skills, good computer skills, meeting tight deadlines,
• Ability to work under minimum supervision, innovativeness, problem-solving, performance management, working in a multi-cultural environment and managing diversity.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
All post is tenable on a five (5) year contract term renewable subject to satisfactory performance and mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
The above position is also subject to the application of the EAC Quota System.
In line with the provisions of the EAC Staff Rules and Regulations,
Candidates whose age will be 55 years at the time of appointment will not be eligible.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
For more information, visit our website: www.eac.int.
How to Apply
All interested candidates should submit their applications by registered mail, courier service, e-mail or dispatch together with Curriculum Vitae, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three referees, and day time telephone contact to:
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. O. Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Fax No: +255 27 2504255/ +255 27 2050281
Female Candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The East African Community will only respond to those candidates who meet its requirements.