Monday, 17 February 2014
Careers at EAC Secretariat - Principal Labour and Employment Officer
Job Title: Principal Labour and Employment Officer
Job REF: EAC/HR/2013/061
Employer: EAC Secretariat
Duty Station: Arusha - Tanzania
Application Deadline: 6th March 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Facilitate implementation of provisions in the Common Market Protocol in respect to Free Movement of Persons.
• Coordinate establishment of common travel standards, travel documents, employment documents etc.
• Facilitate review and standardization of labour standards, laws and regulations.
• Conduct comparative studies to review and update the relevant laws in the context International Labour Conventions.
• Coordinate and harmonise refugee related policies.
• In liaison with the relevant Departments/Agencies in Partner States, develop policy guidelines and standards to achieve equal employment opportunities, affirmative action and work place opportunities.
• Maintain employment databases for monitoring employment levels in the Region.
• Identify core labour areas of regional nature and co-ordinate their harmonization.
• Coordinate periodical Labour Surveys to update both national and regional labour information systems.
• Follow up on implementation of Council decisions and prepare annual and progress reports.
Qualifications and Experience:
• A Master’s degree in Business, Public Administration, Human Resource Management, Law, Labour Management or equivalent qualification from a recognized University.
• 10 years experience in the relevant field with 5 years at senior level.
• Knowledge of labour, immigration and employment policies in the region is essential.
Skills and Competencies:
• Analytical skills, communication skills, computer skills, result oriented, team building skills, research skills, networking skills, planning skills, coordination skills, negotiation skills, networking skills, resource mobilisation skills, problem-solving, innovativeness, project proposal writing skills, budgeting and staff supervision.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
All post is tenable on a five (5) year contract term renewable subject to satisfactory
performance and mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
The above position is also subject to the application of the EAC Quota System.
In line with the provisions of the EAC Staff Rules and Regulations,
Candidates whose age will be 55 years at the time of appointment will not be eligible.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport
allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
For more information, visit our website: www.eac.int.
How to Apply
All interested candidates should submit their applications by registered mail, courier service, e-mail or dispatch together with Curriculum Vitae, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three referees, and day time telephone contact to:
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. O. Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Fax No: +255 27 2504255/ +255 27 2050281
Female Candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The East African Community will only respond to those candidates who meet its requirements.