Job Title: Program Officer, Laboratory Services
Employer: Ariel Glaser Pediatric AIDS Healthcare Initiative
Duty Station: Shinyanga
Application Deadline: 31st January 2014
The purpose of this position is to strengthen the implementation and management of overall laboratory quality assurance activities and training as needed for the AGPAHI supported sites. Program Officer Laboratory Services [POLS] will provide direct technical assistance to laboratory sites and/or serve a coordinating role in ensuring that the appropriate resources are recruited in order to assist sites in maintaining the highest level of quality systems.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring good quality clinical laboratory services in AGPAHI supported sites in Shinyanga region:
- Conduct Laboratory specific supportive supervision and Laboratory Mentorship
- Conduct ongoing assessments of Laboratory Quality Systems within the AGPAHI supported labs; identify areas for quality improvement and provide advice and technical assistance.
- Ensure that SOPs, laboratory manuals, guidelines, worksheets and forms are appropriately utilized at all sites and assist in the modification of these forms whenever appropriate.
- Prepare and facilitate trainings for laboratory staff and other stakeholders, to ensure good quality lab services.
- Liaise with the AGPAHI Technical in Shinyanga and HQ, to provide strategic technical guidance on laboratory activities in field and strategies for improvement.
- Assisting EID activities (Lab Technical assistance, samples, results transportation, DBS SCM) in the Geita Shinyanga and Simiyu regions.
- Ensures that laboratories have an uninterrupted supply of reagents as well as the conditions necessary to ensure reagent stability
- Assesses laboratories for current capacity and guides capacity building efforts
- Facilitate supply chain management system on laboratory reagents and equipment through central procurement system and Medical store.
Capacity building of lab services in districts and sites:
- Liaise with Laboratory Quality Officers and other stakeholders in the district and region in developing strategies to improve and standardize the quality systems in all of the AGPAHI supported laboratories.
- Liaise with the RPM and RPC to identify additional regional technical assistance needs and resources for laboratory quality assurance.
- Actively propose innovative strategies to RPM and RPC for strengthening laboratory activities in the region, including the local capacity to implement and supervise these activities.
- Responsible for Lab related data collection, analysis and reporting and proper documentation.
- Collaborate with the RPM, RPC to regularly inform all local stakeholders about the AGPAHI supported laboratory activities in the region.
- Provide any other information / reports as requested by the RPM or RPC.
Qualifications, Skills and ability
- Advanced diploma or equivalent in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Experience working in a clinical laboratory
- Experience with laboratory tests and techniques required for the diagnosis and monitoring of the following (but not limited to): HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria, STIs, and other infectious diseases.
- Experience working with laboratory equipment, reagents and consumables required for the above-mentioned infections
- Preference given to those who have proven ability to service and properly maintain laboratory equipment
- Knowledgeable of MoHSW laboratory standards and procedures
- In order to achieve the goals at least 50% of working days will require local travel in Shinyanga region.
How to Apply:
AGPAHI is an equal opportunities employer and these positions are open to all, but ONLY qualified candidate should submit a CV and a cover letter to support your eligibility for advertised posts. Documents submitted electronically should have the candidates name as well as post applying for. For more information about each advertised position please send request through email address below.
Submissions may be sent to:
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, AGPAHI
Street, East Upanga