Job Title: Postharvest Research Assistant
Employer: AVRDC- Eastern and Southern
Duty Station: Arusha
Application Deadline: 27th January 2014
- The Assistant’s prime responsibility will be the collection of data on postharvest handling and management of vegetable crops from trials conducted at the Center, as well as collecting data on socio-economic indicators and farmers' perception on postharvest technologies through on-farm dissemination trials. The Successful candidate will Work closely with the Center's Postharvest Specialist as well as other scientists to perform the following tasks.
- Assist scientists in organizing and conducting postharvest research experiments including data entry/compilation and statistical analysis.
- Provide day-to-day management of assigned trials or activities.
- Assist in organizing on-station and on-farm training on postharvest handling, storage and processing of vegetable crops.
- Assist in organizing and conducting outreach and promotional activities, such as field days to promote the development and adoption of improved postharvest practices.
- Assist in conducting economic cost-quantitative surveys of post-harvest losses and other field evaluation activities, including enumeration, encoding and compilation of data, and basic analysis.
- Facilitate field visits by program visitors and participate in AVRDC research meetings as required.
- Prepare and edit draft field reports, proof-read draft program reports, and conduct literature searches for peer-reviewed publications.
- Provide assistance and other support services to postharvest research activities, and perform other tasks as may be assigned by AVRDC's Postharvest Specialist and other scientists.
- BSc or higher degree in a relevant subject in the field of Horticulture, Agronomy, Food Science or Agricultural Engineering
- Experience with and proven skills in the accurate collection of agronomic and socio-economic datain field trials are an essential requirement.
- Good agro-economic background with focus on horticultural value-chains.
- Excellent computer skills in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili (spoken and written)
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact with partners, horticultural value chain actors (i.e., farmers, traders, brokers, processors etc.).
How to Apply:
Submit a letter of application, clearly indicating suitability to the outlined activities and qualifications; curriculum vitae; photocopies of certificates and transcripts; and three names of professional referees including contact address, phone number and e-mail. Applications should be sent to the Email email@example.com or
AVRDC- Eastern and Southern
Ms. Nadine Kwazi
Information on the position can be requested by phone (+255 27 255 3093, +255272553102) or fax (+255272553125). Only applications sent by e-mail will be considered.
Only applications from short listed candidates will be acknowledged.
Please indicate the position in the subject line of your email