Job Title: Program Associate, Book Publishing
Employer: Room to Read
Application Deadline: 31st January 2014
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist the LLP PM in, reviewing and editing manuscripts, securing copyrights and ISBN codes, obtaining government approval, assisting in the procurement of printers, sending our new books to print, etc.
- Work with authors and illustrators to produce original, high quality content that is appropriate for target age groups, suitable for the local cultural context and functional as a tool for education
- Facilitate dialogues and schedule meetings between authors, translators and illustrators; ensure attention to detail and steer efforts towards shared vision of a final product
- Analyze and make recommendations for improving book content and layouts.
- Support implementation of a writer’s competition in which Room to Read Tanzania selects new titles to publish.
- Type, edit, and review manuscripts
- Extend support to Book Development Committee in order to get their inputs into the program
- Track changes annually in the children’s book market with respect to content, format, types, age/grade levels, themes, languages (bi-lingual and/or minority languages) etc., and use this information to evaluate and inform Room to Read’s publishing initiatives
- Assist in building partnerships with organizations and associations involved with children’s books (NGOs involved with content development, writers groups, creative writing departments of universities, etc.) with the goal of becoming a key player in this community.
- In collaboration with the Program Manager develop annual plans and budgets for the Room to Read Tanzania Book Publishing program.
- Provide the LLP PM with the information required to prepare submit timely reports as required by RtR TZ.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, sociology or community development
- Three years experience in the field of publication or education
- Strong planning, supervising, and program development skills
- Ability to travel frequently to rural areas
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English and Kiswahili
- Proven track record of achieving results
- Experience teaching and book publishing
- To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker; you’re not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
The salary range for this position will be determined based upon the experience of the candidate hired. Health and retirement benefits are also provided. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through gender equality and education.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email (no calls, faxes, or drop-ins) to firstname.lastname@example.org with Book Publishing Associate in the subject line. Due to the anticipated high volume of applicant response, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.