Job Title: Office
Employer: BBC Media Action
Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 20th December, 2013
Contract duration: 12 months (with possible extension)
To be responsible to the Administrative Assistant for the day to day cleaning of all areas of the BBC Media Action offices including office spaces, boardroom, meeting areas, reception area, kitchen area and toilets.
• Sweeps office premises externally and internally, clean patios and water closet.
• Waxes and cleans desks, chairs and other office furniture on regular basis.
• Cleans/ wipes doors, windows to maintain cleanliness.
• Ensures that the entire office, the tea room and office furniture is clean all the time.
• Report any theft, breakage or missing items to your supervisor.
• Ensure there is constant supply of water in the office premises and report any leaking taps for immediate maintenance.
• Maintain the stock of generator fuel and checks the daily usage of fuel
• To switch on and off the generator as per electricity demands/requirements.
• Checking if the daily newspaper supply is in line with the daily office newspapers’ order and report instantly to your supervisor if the day’s supply does not match the order of the day
• Provides beverages and maintains utensils
• Keep all utensils in the kitchen/ tea room clean and stored hygienically and safely
• Maintains stock of kitchen utensils
• Prepares and serves beverages: tea/ coffee to all staff/ visitors at appropriate times as determined by the office and circumstances at that time in the case of visitors
• Maintains stock of tea, coffee, sugar and milk
• Checks daily usage of supplies and makes sure that stocks are kept at minimum levels.
• Performs messenger services as required by the supervisor
• Photocopying, laminating and binding office documents (if required)
• Delivers and collects documents internally and externally as per office requirements
Required knowledge, skills and experience:
• Certificate of Secondary Education
• Effective communication in English and Swahili.
• Ability to interact with people of different nationalities
• Time management and consciousness
• Ability to be flexible and learn quickly
• Ability to work with minimum supervision
• Minimum of one year working experience in office cleaning duties.
Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy.
Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
How to Apply:
Candidates should send their CV and a covering letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the name of the position applied for in the subject line by end of Friday 20 December, 2013.
Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Applicants with no separate covering letter will not be considered. Please only apply if you meet the basic criteria under the person specification.
This is a local post applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.