Job Title: Driver
Employer: Care International
Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 17th December 2013
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Carry out daily preventive maintenance checks of assigned vehicle(s) as per CARE’s prescribed checklist.
- Ensure that the assigned vehicle(s) is road-ready and has sufficient fuel and levels of oil for daily use.
- Carry out all driving tasks as needed by the office and as assigned by the supervisor.
- Observe CARE specified speed limits at all times.
- Bring to the immediate attention of the supervisor any and all minor/major defects that have happened or been notice during the day or accidents that have happened that day. Present to the supervisor in writing the details of any accident.
- Record daily trips, fuel consumption, mileage, and timings in the “ log book” provided for the assigned vehicle.
- Record all servicing and repairs received in the ‘service and repair book’ provided for the assigned vehicle.
- Ensure that all load being carried whether passenger or cargo is within vehicle limitations.
- Drive staff on short and long trips as per daily program requests.
- Drive at a speed which is adjusted to the road and weather conditions, and to drive with consideration for the safety of the passengers, other road users, the load, and the technical state of the vehicle.
- Wear a seat belt and ensuring that the passengers in the front seats also wear their seat belts at all times when the vehicle is in motion.
- Decide whether or not to attempt to cross a difficult section of road, to continue after a technical defect has been detected, or to delay the travel.
- Maintain and adhere to road traffic policies and procedures as per Tanzania Government laws.
- Carry out other duties as required for the smooth running of the office.
- Assure the confidentiality of dispatches delivered or received and that all such dispatches are recorded correctly
- Carry out work responsibilities in such a way so as to promote the image and work of CARE.
- Initiate the form for normal Planned Preventive Maintenance (PPM) and alert the Logistics Officer or the office administrator any defaults that occur in the vehicle.
- Immediately report any accidents or technical failure or damage and need for maintenance to the appropriate member of staff, and to note details in the vehicle log book.
- Keep track of the scheduled service time of the vehicle, in order to make sure that servicing is performed in time.
- Ensure that assigned vehicle is completely equipped with a First Aid Kit, spare tire, working flashlight and batteries, vehicle jack, wheel brace and a tool kit (spanner, wrench, tyre, removers, patch kit, etc).
- Ensure that all passengers use seat belts and secure any loose load.
- Adhere strictly to CARE driving regulations and Country traffic rules.
Always observe the speed limits.
- Excellence: Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; successfully completes assignments; sets standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed; ensures interactions and transactions are ethical and convey integrity.
- Respect: Behaves in a manner that reflects a true belief in and appreciation for the dignity and potential of all human beings. Gaining other people’s confidence and setting an environment of trust and openness.
- Diversity: Promotes, values and respects each individual’s unique qualities, background, race, culture, age, gender, disability, values, lifestyle, perspectives or interests; creates and maintains a work environment that promotes diversity.
- Planning and Organizing: Establishes courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently and effectively in accordance with CARE’s core values.
- Adaptability: Effectively manages changing environments in the organization; maintains effectiveness when dealing with multiple and conflicting priorities across different cultural settings or during emergency and crisis situations.
- Initiating Action: Takes prompt action to accomplish objectives; takes decisive action to achieve goals in times of uncertainty or in fluid contexts; is proactive.
- Form IV Certificate
- Must have a valid Class C Tanzania Driving License with diligent attention to safety.
- Diploma in Transport Management
- Required Minimum 5 years of work experience as driver for a project or organization;
- Extensive knowledge of road safety regulations;
Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) familiarity or training;
- Driver’s License, and good driving record.
- Demonstrate dependability and self-motivation.
- Exhibit leadership skills (primarily when assigned as Team Leader for on-call duties).
- Be willing and able to perform tasks without direct supervision that may require physical labor, and possibly the use of hand tools. This work may need to be performed both indoors and outdoors in inclement weather.
- Maintain high level of personal integrity and reliability.
- Maintain good physical condition that will enable Driver to stoop, bend, twist, and perform other motions, requiring strength and endurance when performing manual labor indoors or outdoors
- Ability to thrive in team environments, with a strong understanding of diversity and other cultures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a fluent writing style and good knowledge and practical use of both English and Kiswahili
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.
How to Apply:
Apply through email@example.com to Country Director with a motivation letter and a detailed Resume with 3 referees;