Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Employer: Public Procurement Regulatory Authority (PPRA)
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 23rd December 2013
The Public Procurement Regulatory Authority (PPRA) is a regulatory body established under Section 5 of the Public Procurement Act CAP 410. The Authority is charged with regulatory functions and vested with oversight powers and responsibilities on all public procurement activities carried by all public bodies in the mainland Tanzania.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will be responsible for providing effective leadership to PPRA with the aim of achieving its short and long term objectives. Subject to the general supervision and direction of the Board, the Chief
Executive Officer shall be responsible for:
1. Management and Operations of the Authority;
2. Management of Funds, Property and Business of the Authority;
3. Administration, organisation and control of officers and staff of the Authority; and
4. Promoting training and disciplining of the officers and staff of the Authority in accordance with their terms and conditions of appointment.
In addition to the above general responsibilities given under Section 20(3) of PPA Cap. 410, the Chief Executive Officer shall be responsible for
Supervising Directors and Heads of Units;
• Leading and directing the day to day operations of the Authority, providing leadership focus for the senior management team and ensure an open and inclusive management style;
• Working closely with the Board of Directors to develop and drive challenging but achievable Authorities' strategic objectives and ensure that performance based schemes are in place to drive the business of the
• Authority and achieve results;
• Ensuring tight performance and sound financial management and controls of the Authority, with clear lines of responsibilities;
• Promoting a culture in which staff feel supported and able to develop within the Authority so as to ensure delivery of high quality and exceptional customer services;
• Spokesman of the Authority externally reinforcing its vision, mission and values;
• Implementing approved plans by the Board of Directors, including achievement of performance targets;
• Promoting public confidence in the professionalism, integrity, quality of its services and impartiality of the Authority's decisions; and
• Organising and maintaining assets and resources of the Authority efficiently, effectively, economically and in accordance with principles outlined in Government Policies and Authority's Financial Regulations.
Qualifications and Experience;
• A Minimum Master's Degree in Engineering, Architecture, Law, Procurement and Supplies, Quantity Surveying, Business Administration, Economic Planning or any related field with proven specialization or
• coverage in procurement;
• Must be registered by appropriate Professional Body for all candidates with professional bodies;
• Minimum of 10 years in managerial and leadership position in.a reputable institution out of which eight years should be on procurement related activities; and
• Must have ICT application skills.
Skills and competencies
• Excellent decision making and communication skills and strong hands on experience of conflict resolution, performance and project management;
• Solid organisational and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact professionally with diverse groups of people;
• Self-driven and goal-focused with a strong sense of professional integrity in public engagement;
• Proven ability in networking and developing business partnerships with stakeholders; and
• Strategic and analytical skills coupled with a high level of business ethics and transparency.
An attractive compensation package (including benefits) commensurate with the responsibility will apply to the successful candidate.
Mode of Employment
The successful candidate shall be employed on contract for four years renewable for only one further term.
How to Apply:
Qualified and interested candidates are requested to submit their applications with:
1. A one page summary or abridged CV showing clearly how the candidate meets qualification and experience requirements for this post;
2. A detailed CV stating candidates' current position and various positions that the candidate has held
in the past;
3. Contact address of the candidate including e-mail address and telephone numbers;
4. Three names of referees together with their contact details;
5. Certified Copies of relevant certificates; and
6. Two current passport size photographs.
Applications should be clearly marked "CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER" on top of the envelope and be addressed to the address below, so as to reach the undersigned on or before 23rd December, 2013.
Nomination Committee of the Board
PPF Tower 8th Floor
Ohio Street/Garden Avenue
P.O. Box 49,
Applications for this position is open to qualified Tanzania national only. Applications which will be submitted through emails and in any other means not stipulated in this advertisement will not be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.