Job Title: Medical Laboratory Mentor
Employer: THPS International
Duty Station: Mtwara Regional Office
Application Deadline: 27th Nov 2013
• To provide technical assistance to facility-level lab personnel, including regular and systematic observation of testing procedures and ongoing site level supportive supervision and mentorship.
• To build capacity of Regional and District laboratory technologists(RTL and DTL) in providing ongoing mentorship and supportive supervision to laboratory and non laboratory health providers in Mtwara health facilities
• Build capacity of laboratory health providers in appropriate lab logistics management to ensure uninterrupted lab services across all THPS supported health facilities
• Support laboratory staff to follow written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for every aspect of pre-analytic, analytic and post-analytic phases of the testing process in a laboratory.
• Support MoHSW laboratories accreditation programs through Stepwise Laboratory Improvement toward Accreditation in the region and facilitate those laboratories selected for accreditation program National and THPS Targets.
• Ensure compliance to quality assurance standards based on national, ISO and other International standard requirements to all laboratories in Mtwara.
• Support laboratory staff in Mtwara region to implement laboratory quality management system as per national laboratory policy.
• To provide ongoing mentorship to laboratory staff and health care providers on performing quality laboratory services and interpretation of laboratory parameters"
• Assist in the preparation and delivery of proficiency testing for EQA from laboratory and non laboratory sites.
• Conduct mentorship and supportive supervision to those laboratories under accreditation process.
• Conduct training programs/continue medical education as appropriate to address gaps identified during supportive supervision.
• Provide technical assistance to facility level lab managers, Quality Officers and other lab staff including: establishing routine workflows; developing/refining SOPs, job aides, log books, and referral forms as needed; planning of lab activities to improve tests performance and decrease turnaround time; and developing and implementing an equipment maintenance program.
• To provide technical assistance on the roll out of the accreditation ISO 15189 for the zone laboratories and for regional and district laboratories with the WHO guidelines.
• To help implement and monitor efficient documentation of laboratory results at the sites, as well as effective linkage between laboratories and clinical services.
• Work closely to THPS regional team, regional, council and hospital management teams (RHMT, CHMTs, and HMTs) and other laboratory stakeholders to improve laboratory performance.
• Perform any other activities as may be required by his/her supervisor
Qualifications and Experience:
Applicant must have the minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Science or, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology or its equivalent.
• Ability to work under pressure and minimum supervision
• Knowledge and skills in general clinical chemistry, hematology, flow cytometry and serology laboratory procedures
• Knowledge and practical experience of use of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and Laboratory Quality Standards implementation
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Kiswahili.
• Computer Skills including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point, MS Outlook, MS internet, etc
How to Apply:
All Interested applicants should send their application letter one page maximum and CV four pages maximum, through email with a subject line of the position you are applying for e.g.:-Sub-Grants Officer to HR@thps.or.tz
Only short listed applicants will be contacted. Please do not attach any certificates when submitting online.
THPS is an equal opportunity employer; women and people living with HIV/AIDS are encouraged to apply.