Job Title: Communication Officer
Employer: Walter Reed Southern Highlands AIDS Program
Duty Station: Mbeya
Application Deadline: 20th Nov 2013
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Day-to-day management of the WRP website, including updating and ongoing monitoring, gaining input from other WRP staff as necessary;
• To lead the research, planning and implementation of the longer-term development of the program, to ensure it continues to achieve its objectives;
• Sourcing articles and images from sources within and without the WRP;
• Sub-editing and proof reading articles;
• Writing articles;
• Sourcing and formatting images;
• Liaison with external advertising, design and printing materials;
• To co-ordinate the production of other internal and external WRP communications, publications and materials, in consultation with other WRP staff;
• To contribute to and as required lead the ongoing review and development of WRP member communications to ensure that they best achieve their objectives;
• To develop, implement and maintain a “house style” in all WRP written communications;
• To develop, implement and maintain, in liaison with other WRP staff and external consultants as required, strong WRP visual branding;
• To develop and maintain WRP photo library for use across a range of communications forms;
• To contribute to planning of and arrangements for WRP events, in particular regarding the design and production of materials;
• To represent WRP at internal and external events as required;
• To support the WRP, other senior WRP staff and external public relations consultants in developing media strategy, drafting press releases, responding to media enquiries and building dialogue with journalists;
• To develop, promote and adhere to best practice and to agreed systems and procedures across all areas of work;
• To remain informed of issues affecting WRP, the post office network and wider policy areas;
• Write all press releases and articles(or edit those produced elsewhere) to publicize the program’s activities and achievements;
• Maintain the media and consultations monitoring system, keeping up to date the status of press issues and enquiries and the lists of contacts;
• Analyze media monitoring information and make recommendations to improve media coverage;
• Facilitate interviews for WRP team members and officers, providing any necessary background information;
• Respond to all media enquiries in timely manner;
• Advise departments on the identification and exploitation of positive news opportunities. Assist departments in the preparation of campaigns and events, arranging any press facilities at events;
• Maintain a continuous programme of ongoing PR events in liaison with other departments;
• Be familiar with crisis management procedures and techniques, including WRP emergency and business continuity plans, and carry them out when necessary
• To review and develop the press office service, manage change, to achieve continuous improvement; to maintain agreed performance targets and to meet the requirements of best value
• Act as the focal point for all media communications within the program, ensuring all spokesmen give consistent messages
• To undertake other duties as required commensurate with the level of this post.
• Post Graduate qualification in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related fields.
• Posses 3-5 years of proven strategic communication planning and implementation experience.
• Good written and oral communication skills, conveying messages to different audiences using diverse media; excellent English language ability (of publication standard).
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with stakeholders from various institutional arrangements.
• Ability to maintain, nurture and develop existing and new media contacts.
• Ability to analyze complex information from different sources and to synthesize this information into coherent briefs and communication documents.
• Proactive approach to meeting deadlines and delivering results with limited supervision.
• Flexibility, creativity and effectiveness in working collaboratively in a multicultural team.
• Ability to deal with discretion on sensitive issues and to respond positively to challenges.
• Commitment to WRP’s vision, mission and objectives.
How to Apply:
Send cover letters and resumes should be sent to:
The Human Resources Manager,
P.O. Box 6396,
or e-mailed to; email@example.com.
NB: to be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE.
Those who do not meet the minimum requirements as detailed below should not submit applications.