Job Title: Senior Accountant
Employer: Twaweza Organization
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 14th Nov 2013
Salary Grade: 4
• Support the development and updating of financial policies, procedures and standards, including keeping abreast of new financial and tax laws in accordance to legal requirements and the best financial practices, and ensure that all staff are well informed in their use.
• Ensure that all financial transactions (including grant disbursement) and data are correctly implemented according to policies and procedures.
• Ensure that all financial documents are accurately supported, approved and coded, and that all cheque books, cheque list, petty cash, LPOs are maintained correctly
• Ensure that staff payroll administration is verified for accuracy, properly processed and that all statutory payments such as PAYE and pension are made on a timely basis.
• Manage banking, accounts and balances effectively and efficiently, including undertaking monthly bank reconciliations, foreign exchange management as and cash flow management in a timely manner.
• Support management of donor funding and disbursements; and ensure acknowledgment of receipts and financial reporting is accurate, professional and timely.
• Scrutinize Uwezo plans, budgets, and financial reports from each of the three Uwezo countries; consolidate reports for all three countries and the regional office as needed.
• Contribute to annual/quarterly budget development and reporting for Uwezo and Twaweza.
• Ensure that Twaweza is compliant with all legal requirements regarding taxation, returns, fees and other financial statutory requirements.
• Review financial statements and reports of partner organisations and grantees as required; provide
• financial advice/training as needed.
• Prepare monthly expenditure in relation to budget reports and inform management on a timely basis.
• Undertake periodic checks of assets and stores are done, and prepare reports on the same for management.
• Prepare high quality financial reports including professional annual financial statements in a timely basis.
• Prepare for and collaborate with internal and external auditors to ensure successful audit.
• Maintain well organized physical and electronic archive of financial documentation stretching back at least seven years in secure location.
• Support the Uwezo regional manager in undertaking all finance and budget related responsibilities.
• Successfully implement above responsibilities and assigned activities (and associated budgets) in work plans, consistent with Twaweza Policies.
• Contribute effectively to planning, monitoring and reporting of Twaweza’s work.
• Comply with and foster adherence to the established Twaweza policies, regulations, guidelines and procedures.
• Participate actively in organization-wide learning and other joint activities.
• Undertake any other lawful tasks as may be assigned by the Supervisor or the Head of Twaweza.
Education, skills and experience
• Holder of CPA (T) certificate or equivalent preferred, or at least advanced stage in progressing towards it.
• At least three years of relevant work experience.
• Excellent administrative and planning skills.
• Experience of using accounting packages, as well as MS Office.
• Impeccable, corruption-free reputation and integrity.
• Ability to keep deadlines and keen attention to detail.
• Experience in NGO accounts/financial management.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Can take initiative, get things done really well and fast.
Changes and Amendments:
This job description may be amended by Twaweza after consultation with the employee and the supervisor.