Job Title: Research and Planning Manager (RPM)
Employer: Kilombero Valley Teak Co. Ltd
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 15th Nov 2013
The Kilombero Valley Teak Company in Tanzania manages 8,000ha of teak plantations and 20,000ha of indigenous forests in the South West of Tanzania (East Africa). The company operates a modern sawmill and value adding mill and currently exports around 15,000m3 of processed wood products annually to various markets in mainly Asia. More information on www.kvtc-tz.com
KVTC currently has a vacancy for an: Research and Planning Manager (RPM)
The RPM's overall objective is to provide the company with detailed maps and data on its forestry and conservation activities within KVTC's landholding. The RPM is to develop research and development on KVTC's forestry assets and is to improve and expand the company's tree improvement program.
The RPM will perform regular monitoring and reporting of numerous growth and operational progress indicators through field surveys. The RPM will assist the company in resource planning and drawing up long term harvesting and thinning plans. The RPM will lead the teams conducting enumeration, thinning marking and thinning control to ensure that plantation growth is actively monitored (through plantation management software) and optimised.
The RPM will be required to work closely together with the company's external advisor(s) in order to achieve the long term Research and Development Goals.
Further to the forest management activities the RPM is responsible to implement the company's FSC Controlled Wood and Chain of Custody program and maintain certification.
• Tertiary Degree in Forestry or related courses or extensive working in experience in a resource orientated environment
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in a commercial agricultural or forestry company in a research or planning orientated role but with a commercial angle
• An understanding of statistics and proven ability to implement trials, compile and analyse data and present in report format to management
• Experience with FSC Certification systems
• Experience working with GIS Programs (Arc View or similar) and Resource/Forestry Management Software (preferably MicroForest)
• Computer literate
• Fluent in English speaking, reading and writing
• Strong personality and good communicator that likes to work in a team but can function with minimum guidance
This position entails extensive field work in remote areas with abundant wildlife. Only applicants willing to work under the demanding conditions normal to this type of environment should apply.
How to Apply:
If you meet the requirements of the position above, please submit your application letter, CV and copies of references and certificates to:
The General Manager
Kilombero Valley Teak Company
P.O. Box 12452
Dar es Salaam
Only short listed applicants will be invited for interviews.