Job Title: Legal Counsel
Employer: National Bank of Commerce (NBC)
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 21st Oct 2013
• Manage compliance and operational efficiency portfolio team to ensure effective dally operations providing high qual1ty legal advice to support the business In its day-to-day activities.
• Pro-actively identifying and managing legal risk arising in the conduct of business in Tanzania.
• Reviewing changes In the commercial legal and regulatory environment In Tanzania, briefing the business and supporting change projects to embed requirements arising from such changes.
• Pro-actively managing and determining the strategy for all litigation matters involving NBC.
• Overseeing and managing all instructions to external law firms relating to litigation or employment related matters. Advising on employment laws and regulations.
• Maintaining the suite of standard employment contracts; ensuring that they are updated to comply with any relevant local laws or regulations or as directed by the Africa HR legal team. Providing training and updates to the business on developments relating to employment law
• Determining and Implementing a strategy to deal with legacy litigation matters being managed on behalf of the Government Conducting legal risk assessments for new products and participating in the new product approval process.
• Liaising and involving other members of the Legal Function Including Barclays Africa Legal, the Africa litigation and Africa HR legal teams and other stakeholders throughout the Group on legal risk matters as appropriate
• Driving performance in the resolution of legal issues.
• Proactively supporting the Head of Legal and Company Secretary to manage and control external legal resources in terms of cost and performance, including negotiation and settlement of external lawyer’s fees.
• Identifying and meeting management information requirements for the measurement of legal risk exposure, key legal risk issues and trends. Preparing the quarterly litigation reports and HR matters report for Barclays Africa LegaV the Africa Litigation and Africa HR Legal teams. Creating and maintaining the litigation key dates calendar
• Excellent communicator
• Ability to develop relationships with clients and rapidly establish credibility with legal colleagues and management. Excellent technical knowledge and analytical skills
• Technical legal knowledge of general banking law, commercial lending documents. Standard bank security documents, corporate Insolvency. Excellent communication skH1s
• Assimilates complex commercial issues quickly by identifying the most Critical aspects of a problem and produces high quality and easily understood commercial solutions Able to tackle new technical areas of law without prior experience
• Strong commercial focus.
• Delivery of high quality results under pressure. Good understanding of the financial services sector
• Law degree (honours)
• A lawyer qualified to practice in Tanzania or similar common law jurisdiction
• Experience Required
• At least 4 years post qualification experience, preferably working in a top commercial law firm or financial services Institution.
Attractive salary including performance based bonus on achieving targets and overall business performance.
How to Apply:
Applicants are invited to submit their CV's, copies of certificates, 2 referees and their contacts to;
Human Resources Business Partner
National Bank of Commerce (NBC),
7th Floor, NBC House
P.O. Box 1863
Dar es Salaam,
Fax no: +255 22 2134662
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
If you are not contacted by NBC within thirty (30) days after the closing date, you should consider your application as unsuccessful
NBC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER