Job Title: Deputy Chief Executive Director
Employer: Ifakara Health Institute (IHI)
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 13th Nov 2013
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is one of Africa's most eminent health research organizations. With a history of more than 50 years, IHI is an independent, non-profit organization, registered in Tanzania and led by Tanzanians. IHI conducts a wide range of health-related research, including biomedical and environmental studies, trials of drugs, vaccines and diagnostics, health-systems research, and monitoring and evaluation.
S/he reports to the Chief Executive Director.
The Deputy Chief Executive Director will be a primary assistant to the CED, s/he will responsible to oversee the implementation of the IHI Strategy across the organization ensuring that agreed objectives are implemented and achieved within the timeline while providing day to day guidance, coaching and support to the Management
• Supervises the implementation of the Strategic Planning for all Division in the Directorate Assist Chief Executive Director to develop departmental objectives that are in line with the Institute objectives and ensure clarity of roles across Directorate.
• Guide the update and implementation of the Strategic Planning 2013 -2018 and day to day running of the organization
• Assist the CED in preparation and conducting of the MC meeting ( setting agendas, recording and Monitor implementation of the agreed action plan)
• Provide guidance and management support to the Chief Finance Office to ensure timely submission of financial reports to the CED, consolidation of the yearly budget and financial planning for the strategic period and monitoring of liquidity planning and prioritize cash flow transaction.
• Support the implementation of IFRS and the integration of project accounting into IHI accounts.
• Assist in designing and implementation of new project controlling procedure and tools to ensure financial compliance is maintained for donor and grantor funds
• Treasury & Working Capital Management - authorization of weekly electronic and manual payments, liaison with bankers, managing foreign exchange requirements.
• Work closely with the CHRO to review and ensure reinforcement of the HR policies and procedures and staff development plans, training plan, scheme of services, salary and remunerations scheme.
• Support the implementation of the cultural change and performance management
• Oversee the development, documentation and communication of policies and procedures for all areas of operations.
• Provide support and guidance to ensure implementation of research action plans and reporting to the donors.
• Enforce the compliance of procurement procedures.
• Supervise the execution and results of OPEX.
• Provide guidance/ advice on the best management practices for the Branch Offices
Qualifications and experience
• MBA Corporate Management / or related field with extensive experience in Senior Management position for not less than 12 years commercial sector experience will be an added advantage.
• Qualified CPA (T) ACCA, CIMA or ACA will be an added advantage.
• Experience in project and change management.
• Understand of Sciences Research and Development procedures is Key.
• Staff management experience and extensive experience of Resources management.
• Knowledge of legal and personnel issues.
• IT literacy.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong influencing and leadership skills.
• Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
• Strategic thinker to anticipate and address short term and long term financial needs and cash flow management issues.
• Resilient and able to work well under pressure, to set priorities of a heavy workload and work both reactively and pro-actively.
• A strategic outlook with the ability to drive change where necessary
• Experience of motivating & developing teams –including performance management & appraisals.
• A high degree of integrity, tact, diplomacy and corporate spirit.
• Hands on approach and be a team player.
Attractive and competitive remuneration will be provided.
How to Apply:
Candidates meeting the above job requirements should channel their letter of application with detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact address, e-mail, telephone numbers and photocopy of academic and professional certificates to:
Chief Human Resources Officer,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P.O. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam.