Job Title: Chief Finance Officer
Employer: Ifakara Health Institute (IHI)
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 13th Nov 2013
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is one of Africa's most eminent health research organizations. With a history of more than 50 years, IHI is an independent, non-profit organization, registered in Tanzania and led by Tanzanians. IHI conducts a wide range of health-related research, including biomedical and environmental studies, trials of drugs, vaccines and diagnostics, health-systems research, and monitoring and evaluation.
• Developing, maintaining and keeping custody of all finance and accounting records as well as monitoring quality of bookkeeping;
• Proactively monitor consolidated budget (i.e., prepare, review, and analyze variance reports reflecting department financial status), prepare financial forecasts, identify and analyze financial problems, and recommend solutions
• Ensure accurate, complete & timely financial and management reporting, including monthly management accounts, balance sheet control.
• Undertake ad hoc financial analysis from time to time, to assist SMT in evaluating profitability of income streams, and potential for cost efficiencies
• Ensure finalization of accounts and submission of the same to external auditors in time.
• Leading the preparation and release of financial, accounting, management and statutory reports;
• Ensuring accurate and timely administration of all tax and statutory compliance issues including central bank prudential returns, VAT and other taxes;
• Cash flow management by ensuring adequate funding, monitoring credit lines, control of suppliers payment, monitoring treasury and expenses against budget, etc;
• Developing appropriate mechanisms to control Institute’s exposure and enforcing accounting procedures, respecting local regulations;
• Over see the implementation of the accounting system and ensure the correct and proper use of the system.
• Work with the Deputy Executive Director to restructure accounting unit. This will include conducting job analysis for the group with the help of the HR unit.
• Management of Payroll and related statutory payments and returns;
• Effectively leading the accounting unit leaders, managing their performance and facilitating their training and development.
• Ensure monthly burn rate reports are sent to all project leaders/ unit leader
• Maintaining good relations with stakeholders including bankers and Partners etc.
• Provide monthly financial status report to Management Committee.
• Design suitable internal control measures through clear segregation of duties amongst the finance team.
Qualifications and experience:
• Business degree /MBA majoring in Finance /Commerce or Accounting with a professional accounting qualification such as CPA, ACCA, ICMA, CIMA etc.
• Director level prior experience in an organization with an annual turnover of above 10 billion.
• Registered by NBAA at least at the category of associate ship
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Sound knowledge of financial management and IFRS accounting procedures;
• Demonstrable leadership ability with good interpersonal skills;
• Good analytical ability;
• Excellent planning and organizing skills;
• Knowledge in the computerized accounting environment and;
• Ability to work in multicultural environment
• trust worthy
• Team Player.
Attractive and competitive remuneration will be provided.
How to Apply:
Candidates meeting the above job requirements should channel their letter of application with detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact address, e-mail, telephone numbers and photocopy of academic and professional certificates to:
Chief Human Resources Officer,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P.O. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam.