Job Title: Science Editor, Tanzania
Employer: Oxford University Press (Tanzania) Ltd
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 23rd Sept 2013
Oxford University Press Tanzania ("OUPT"), established in Tanzania in 1967, is recruiting for the position of Science Editor. The position is based in Dar es Salaam. The successful candidate will report to the Publishing Manager.
Job scope and context:
Primarily office-based job; some field work required for research and relationship building. Deadline driven. Comfortable working in an environment that demands management of diverse stakeholders.
Skills and knowledge needed:
• Commissioning and management of authors; Proofreading; Editing;
• Product knowledge;
• MS Word and Excel; Project management;
• Copy writing;
• Understanding of electronic publishing will be an advantage;
• Printing and design terminology & processes;
• Presentation skills; Budget control;
• Research skills;
• Relationship building;
• Negotiation skills;
• Understanding' of pedagogy and educational methodology;
• Knowledge of educational publishing industry.
• Present projects for approval
• Commissions authors and manages the production of titles for publication to deadline;
• Edits and proofreads as required
• Conducting marketing research whenever necessary
• Liaising with design and artists
• Minimum requirements to apply:
• Bachelor degree in Science with education (majors: Chemistry and Biology)
• Strong oral and written English language skills
• Computer literacy
• Excellent communication skills
• Self driven
• Able to work to agreed schedules and deliver on time
• Demonstrate a spirit of competitiveness, display ethical behaviour, support teamwork, communicate effectively, innovate and learn
• Experience in editorial work would be an added advantage
• If you are customer focused/service-oriented and possess enthusiasm, good interpersonal skills, and meet the minimum requirements above, we would like to hear from you!
How to Apply:
We offer a competitive salary and benefit package commensurate with experience.
Please send your CV to:
Human Resources Manager,
P. O. Box 5299
Dar es Salaam.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Oxford reserves the right not to fill the vacancy at this time.