Job Title: Research Assistant Maize Breeding - SARI/CIMMYT
Employer: Selian Agricultural Research Institute (SARI)
Duty Station: Arusha
Application Deadline: 30th Sept 2013
• Work closely with the maize breeder in the management of development of a 20 ha research farm (fencing, office building, and irrigation facilities) at SARI Selian
• Manage the research farm used to develop stress tolerant maize
• Work in collaboration with Scientists in supervising field technicians and skilled labor
• In liaison with the Scientists supervise field breeding activities including seed preparation, planting, managing and harvesting of nurseries and trials
• Supervise planting and execution of managed drought stress maize trials in Tanzania
• Supervise the management of seed and trial shipments to CIMMYT collaborators
• Under the direction of the scientist manage seed storage including labeling and seed inventories
• Carry out electronic data capture, data management and data analysis
• As directed provide technical assistance to visiting scientists and students
• Shall be reporting to the SARI Director and occasionally to CIMMYT regional authority.
Qualification and Experiences:
• A Tanzanian
• A Master's degree in Plant Breeding or Genetics
• At least 3 years' experience in the field of plant breeding' or closely related field
• Experience in use of SAS or GenStat statistical software for data analysis
• Experience in the use of Field book software for data and pedigree management.
• Experience in working on maize and especially for stress tolerance including drought, soil fertility, and post-harvest pests will be an added advantage
• Practical experience in working with field layout will be an added advantage.
• Demonstrated good communication and organizational skills and ability to work under pressure
• Ability to effectively work with minimum supervision
• Good interpersonal skills, strong team spirit, integrity, honesty and self-motivation
• A valid Tanzania driver's license.
Terms of offer
SARI/CIMMYT are equal opportunity employers and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women.
This position is on local terms for SARI and CIMMYT and will be for an initial period of three (3) years, renewable subject to six (6) months' probation period, assessment of performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of resources.
An attractive package is reserved for this position.
How to Apply:
A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations
A detailed curriculum vitae
The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
All correspondence should be addressed to the
Selian Agricultural Research Institute,
P. O. Box 6024