Duty Station: Mtwara
Application Deadline: 20th Sept 2013
Africare is a US-based Private Voluntary Organization, which is committed to improve lives and build futures for the people in Africa. Africare has been operational in Tanzania since 1994, implementing projects in the Health Sector, Energy, Natural Resources Management, Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Security, Water Sanitation and Hygiene, Economic Empowerment and Livelihood Programs and Emergency Relief Programs.
With funding from BG Tanzania, Africare is in the process to implement a Youth Economic Empowerment and Livelihood Program for 3 years in Mtwara region. The program aims at empowering youth to undertake viable enterprises which will improve their livelihoods, create employment opportunities and enhance their income earning potential.
Africare will seek to develop youth entrepreneurship around existing and emerging markets through value chain developments and linkages to incubation centers and the markets.
Africare wants to hire a self motivated Program Manager who will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the Youth development program.
• Manage the Youth Economic Empowerment and Livelihoods Program to make sure that it achieves results, objectives and the goal;
• Develop annual work-plans, Performance Management Plan and Budgets;
• Manage human, financial and capital resources to ensure delivery of results stipulated in the project document;
• Lead a technical team of 6 individuals, including Capacity Development Officer, Market Links Officer, M&E Advisor, Accounts Assistant, Driver and Office Attendant.
• Entrepreneurial Development
• Lead the process of Identifying existing and emerging market opportunities for potential products that will be produced by youth and share this information with youth entrepreneurs;
• Oversee capacity building and youth empowerment to influence the direction of the project and ensure effective and fit for purpose delivery of the various objectives;
• Manage development of value chains for local products including horticultural, fishing, beekeeping and poultry products; Support youth entrepreneurs to produce products that conform to market requirements;
• Assist aspiring youth entrepreneurs to develop viable business plans, and link them to financial institutions to Facilitate inspirational events to mobilize and encourage targeted youth to initiate viable enterprises;
• Stakeholder Engagement
• Manage relations with the various partners and stakeholders to ensure effective communication of the project to raise awareness and maintain alignment in objectives:
• Lead project representatives engaging at strategic levels in Mtwara in relation to the project;
• Engage with government authorities, agencies and CSO to establish strategic incubation centers to enable youth with viable enterprises to acquire business planning skills, business mentorship, financial management and youth entrepreneurship
• Maintain mutual relationships between Africare, BG Tanzania, government authorities and agencies, CSO partners and youth groups through committed leadership and oversight of program and partner relations;
• Conduct capacity-building for government personnel to take lead in supporting the youth program;
• Collaborate with partners to strengthen existing youth groups and form new groups;
• Partner with government authorities, agencies and csa partners to establish strategic incubation centers to enable youth with viable enterprises to acquire business planning skills, business mentorship, financial management and youth entrepreneurship;
• Monitoring & Evaluation
• Design monitoring and evaluation tools for managing livelihoods programs to ensure quality program outcomes and Project Steering Committee reporting;
• Train government line-officers, agencies, partner CSOs and youth leaders on monitoring and evaluation systems for the efficient and effective collection of targeted data;
• Support targeted youth groups in documentation, keeping records and reporting;
• Prepare and submit technical and financial reports required by Africare for reporting to Project Steering Committee;
• 3+ experience in program management, planning, monitoring and donor reporting;
• Experience in entrepreneurship, business planning, youth livelihoods/ empowerment; Understanding of value chains/ market linkages and making connections.
• Experience of managing multi-year projects with budgets in excess of $500k. Working with government authorizes and civil Society organizations;
• Master's degree in Entrepreneurship, Community Economic Development, Youth Development, Agri-Economics, or related field.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants to submit a cover letter (2pages) and a resume, addressing to:
Human Resources Manager
116 Galu Street, Ada Estate - Kinondoni
P.O. Box 63187,
Dar es salaam- Tanzania