Job Title: PMI Malaria Program Manager
Employer: Water Reed Program-Tanzania
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 6th Sept 2013
The Malaria PMI Program Manager (PM) will manage subordinate diagnostics and training staff and short-term contract staff in executing current activities and develop future plans and operations. Under the supervision of the MPD the incumbent will manage the in-country PMI malaria program operations by planning coordinating and executing and directing when needed the PMI malaria activities. This incumbent will: develop and write work plans; and coordinate with partnering organizations in the piloting and scale-up of a national malaria diagnostics program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide leadership and managerial support for the Laboratory Coordinator (LC) and Training Coordinator (TC) in the area of malaria diagnostics to implement quality assurance and quality control strategies to improve malaria laboratory practices.
• Supervise the PMI team and provide technical assistance for malaria diagnostics.
• Support the implementation of improved malaria diagnostics including assisting in field work and promoting the professional development of the WRP-T malaria program staff.
• Supervise the LC and TC to ensure proper budgeting and accountability for financial matters regarding field support and implementation of WRP project assist in developing budgets.
• Assisting in procurement of needed reagents and supplies and overseeing proper budget expenditures under his/her purview.
• Provide biannual evaluations of the LC and the Te.
• Assist in the evaluation of current activities and practices. seeking and developing new or innovative test-based malaria diagnostic practices to improve health facility services delivery.
• Strengthen the capacity of WRP program activities by forecasting. procuring. and maintaining supply stocks working with implementing partners in developing systems to support these activities.
• Maximize networking with Tanzania Government health bodies and USG Presidential Malaria Initiative (PMI) to promote and facilitate WRP-T malaria program activities.
• Participate in committees and working groups as appropriate to support the overall USG effort under PM.
• Offer expertise to other USG funded partners and sites in the development of quality laboratory services.
• Assist the MPD. TC and LC in preparing funding documents. written reports. and manuscripts for submission to scientific journals.
• Coordinate activities with Tanzanian partners and support the preparation of legal agreements when needed.
• Travel within Tanzania for the purpose of program management. continued service development. implementation and evaluation and service delivery.
• Oversee partners to ensure the collection of quality data and the reporting of this data as required.
• Assists in-country partners and WRAIR technical directors in the submission of annual funding requests for continued support of care and treatment
• Provide monthly reports to Deputy Country Director and WRAIR technical directors or designated POC(s}.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Bachelor's degree in related discipline (science or management); Masters Degree in Business Management. Public Health. International Relations or a relevant technical field is preferred.
• Program management experience and training in international settings. in particular. within a developing country situation
• Budget development. management and reporting
• Excellent communication skills; ability to troubleshoot technical procedures; ability to work independently and supervise others Knowledge about malaria disease. prevention and diagnostics Conversant in Kiswahili
• Two to five years of experience in health related project management and leadership experience managing multi-sector programs.
How to Apply:
Send your Cover letters applications and CV to:
Human Resources Manager,
P.O. 80x 6396.