Job Title: Manager, Seafarers Affairs, Training & Certification (Head Office) - 1 Post
Ref No. 302
Employer: Surface and Marine Transport Regulatory Authority (SUMATRA)
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 9th Oct 2013
Duties and Responsibilities
• To assist and advise the Director of Maritime Safety & Security on issues related to Seafarers Affairs, Training & Certification;
• to grant accreditation to training institutions and programs;
• To approve of training equipment including simulators;
• To assess candidates qualifications and verify their eligibility for award of certificates;
• To conduct oral examinations, award certificates, and keep record, of seafarers certificates issued;
• To manage medical examinations for seafarers;
• To arrange for acquisition of documents and issue Seamen Identity Documents (certificates, seamen discharge books, forms, etc);
• To manage the engagement and welfare of seafarers;
• To approve crewing agents and monitoring;
• To Manage the Quality of the Maritime Education and Training system;
• To coordinate the IMO member State audit scheme activities;
• To manage the individual set objectives/targets and performance standards process as part of the individual performance agreement in consultation with the immediate superior;
• To manage the open performance review and appraisal process of subordinates and provide feedback as appropriate; and
• To perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
• Manager, Seafarers Affairs, Training & Certification reports to the Director of Maritime Safety & Security.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• University Postgraduate degree in Nautical Science, Maritime safety, Maritime Education and Training, Marine Engineering, or Master or Chief Engineer or its equivalent;
• Bachelor Degree Nautical Science, Maritime safety, Maritime Education and Training, Marine Engineering, or Master or Chief Engineer or its equivalent; and
• At least ten (10) years of working experience, three (3) years of which must be at senior managerial position in a reputable institution (preferably Maritime/shipping services institution).
Candidates' Attributes for the Above Vacant Positions to be filled:
All Candidates must:
• Demonstrate highest degree of integrity and professionalism;
• Possess good communication, leadership and interpersonal skills;
• Demonstrate competence in budgeting, setting performance indicators, monitoring and performance appraisals;
• Be self driven and capable of working with minimal supervision;
• Be capable of delivering excellent results while working under pressure with tight schedules and deadlines;
• Possess basic knowledge in Information and Communication Technology (lCT) application, such as; Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint Access, Outlook etc.
Terms Of Employment
• Successful candidates will be employed on 5-Years Contract including six months of probation. The contracts are renewable, subject to the employee's satisfactory performance.
Attractive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates.
How to Apply:
Applications should be on applicants' handwriting indicating the Reference Number (Ref. No.) of the application, accompanied with detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), copies of relevant Certificates, Transcripts, testimonials and names, positions and detailed contacts of three (3) reliable referees.
Application letter and the envelope should have the Ref. No. of the post applied. Application without Ref. No. will not be considered. .
Applications with statement/Provisional results or Statements of Results from NECTA where Certificates have already been issued will not be considered, thus, need not to apply.
Sumatra Head Office,
A. H. Mwinyi Rd/Nkomo St,
P. O. BOX 3093,
Dar Es Salaam .
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for Interview.