Job Title: Livelihoods Improvement Advisor/ Lake Zone Health and Economic Development Initiative
Duty Station: Nyamongo, Tarime
Application Deadline: 23rd Sept 2013
Africare is implementing HIV prevention and economic strengthening program in Mara region, the Lake Zone Health and Economic Development Initiative (LAZHEDI) with support from USAID and African Barrick Gold through the Tanzania Chamber of Minerals and Energy.
This project is being implemented in Tarime District, Mara Region targeting the socio-economic needs and unique health risks of mining communities.
Africare invites applications for filling the vacancy of Livelihoods Improvement Advisor.
The incumbent will support project staff and partners in implementing state of the art models of economic strengthening (ES) for households within the mining communities’ of Tarime.
He/she will work closely with African Barrick Gold/ North Mara Mine and government officials to ensure that the program achieves its objectives and documents results .
Duties/Responsibilities and Requirements:
• Multi-Sectoral Engagement for Economic Strengthening
• Market Analyses and Linkages f the mining community
• Strategic Planning for Economic Strengthening Activities and Sustainability
• Capacity Building, Mentoring and Training to Economic Strengthening Clusters and Small Business Owners
• Monitoring and Evaluation of Economic Strengthening Activities
• Desired Knowledge and Skills:
• Demonstrated understanding of key economic challenges facing most vulnerable households in Tanzania;
• Demonstrated knowledge of gender-related issues facing vulnerable households, particularly with a focus on rural Tanzanian settings.
• Possession of M&E skills with ability to analyze data and make effective program decisions based on available data.
• Possess excellent leadership skills and ability to relate to effectively communicate and build consensus with a wide-range of stakeholders - from community caregivers to local government authorities.
• Ability to function effectively both independently and collaboratively within a team environment for planning and program coordination.
• Demonstrated organizational, work management, and group process skills, ability to take initiative to identify and propose new tasks and procedures.
• Ability to take initiative and identify and propose innovative approaches to enhance project results and impact.
• Demonstrated ability to impart savings and entrepreneurship skills to community members to facilitate alternative income earning sources.
• Demonstrated competence in the use of software applications Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Demonstrated organizational and time management skills used in an office setting.
• Ability to travel extensively to project sites as required.
• Masters degree or equivalent in Business, Economics, and development studies Preferred or Bachelors Degree with equivalent work experience.
• Minimum 5 years professional experience, with at least 3 years direct experience designing and implementing sustainable market development programs.
• Extensive experience in implementing donor funded programs/projects that focus on economic strengthening and market linkages.
• Knowledge of economic development best practices and specific strategies for sustainable economic development of vulnerable populations including demonstrated knowledge of and experience with market development best practices such as value chain development, and microfinance is a key requirement.
• Prior experience of working in a USAID or USG funded project and coordinating public private partnerships (PPP) a plus.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants to submit a cover letter (2pages) and a resume, addressing to:
Human Resources Manager
116 Galu Street, Ada Estate - Kinondoni
P.O. Box 63187,
Dar es salaam- Tanzania