Job Title: Laboratory Technician/ Technologist
Employer: Water Reed Program-Tanzania
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 10th Sept 2013
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop site strengthening plans, coaching and mentoring;
• Provide field level technical assistance for malaria microscopy and mRDT testing sites to develop and support accurate and quality assured malaria diagnostics, and Improves malaria testing practices;
• Participate in formal and informal malaria microscopy and MRDT training; Complete projects by assisting Laboratory Coordinator; attending and participating in group and project meetings;
• Plan and execute all activities according to relevant legislation and applicable standards;
• Resolve problems by examining and evaluating data; selecting corrective steps;
• Assist in the evaluation of current activities and practices, seeking and developing new or innovative laboratory practices to improve laboratory services delivery, maintaining proficiency with current and future equipment and support for maintenance of equipment.
• Assist in the evaluation of existing saps, assistance in selection and coordination of appropriate training, equipment, analysis of existing data, development of best-practice, and evidence-based approaches to WRP priority areas.
• Work with other USG agencies and Ministry of Health and Social Welfare counterparts in developing national SOPs and QA / QC measures and programs.
• Assist to develop a plan for malaria Rapid Diagnostics Test (ROT) scale-up in participating labs with supervision of the quality assurance training and coordination.
• Assist to leverage PMI - Tanzania to implement the developed QA/QC protocol in malaria diagnostics.
• Support the Tanzania Government health bodies to improve laboratory standards to WHO accreditation levels.
• Work with committees, providing support and undertaking assigned tasks as needed as part of the overall USG effort under PMI.
• Identify training needs and foster a productive team environment. Complete other projects as needed.
Required Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
• Advanced Diploma or Diploma in related scientific or laboratory science discipline
• At least 3 years laboratory experience .
• Knowledge and experience in clinical laboratory Science, quality management systems and ISO 15189 and WHO standards for accreditation.
• Knowledge of malaria diagnostics methodology and technology
• An ability to communicate effectively including a high standard of verbal, written and interpersonal skills;
• Ability to troubleshoot technical procedures
• Ability to work independently and supervise others.
• Good computer skills including experience in Word and Excel
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Send your Cover letters applications and CV to:
Human Resources Manager,
P.O. 80x 6396.
Walter Reed Program is an equal opportunity employer