Job Title: Research Associate - Transparency for Development, Tanzania or Indonesia
Employer: Harvard Kennedy School's Ash Center
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam
Application Deadline:28th Aug, 2013
The Harvard Kennedy School's Ash Center ( http://www.hks.harvard.edu/) and our partner organization, Results for Development Institute ( http://www.resultsfordevelopment.org/) seek qualified applicants for Research Associates to support impact evaluation work in Tanzania and Indonesia. Two positions are available; one candidate will be selected to be based in each country.
These two projects are part of a multi-year, multi-donor evaluation portfolio to provide robust quantitative and qualitative evidence on the impact of transparency and accountability interventions on health outcomes. The transparency and accountability (T/A) field is a fast growing cross-sectoral movement to promote greater openness on the part of governments, companies and other institutions so that the public can hold them to account. Examples of T/A interventions include citizen report cards, scorecards, social audits, civil society budget analysis, and public expenditure tracking surveys. Evidence on the extent to which these transparency and accountability interventions lead to better human development outcomes is lacking. As a donors, health practitioners, and government actor scale up its work in the area of empowerment and accountability, this project seeks to ensure that strategic and tactical decisions are based on an increasing base of robust and credible evidence.
The successful applicant will work closely with the principal investigators and project manager to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
• coordinating with local partners to support the design of the intervention
• designing survey questionnaire
• conducting qualitative research
• supervising piloting of the intervention and evaluation
• refining study design and surveying instruments
• coordinating work with the data collection firm
• checking and analyzing data
• cleaning data and assisting in preliminary analysis
• assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos
The positions offer an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an exciting development research project.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
• A Bachelor's, or ideally, Master's degree in economics, international development, social sciences, public policy, or related fields.
• Experience living and working in a developing country is a strong plus.
• Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills.
• Fluency and excellent communication skills in English.
• Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player.
• Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
• Knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software is preferred.
• Familiarity with randomized controlled trials is strongly preferred.
• Direct experience working and/or living in either Tanzania or Indonesia is a strong plus.
• Entrepreneurial spirit and excellent attitude.
We are looking for a commitment period of two years.
How to Apply
1.Send an email to Courtney Tolmie at email@example.com, copying firstname.lastname@example.org following these instructions exactly: In the subject line, put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name. Please attach ONLY your CV. In the email body, copy exactly the following position line: 100813 Harvard Kennedy School, Research Associate - TRANSPARENCY FOR DEVELOPMENT. Please do not include any text besides the position line(s) in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
2.Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application indicating that you are interested inapplying for a 'Type 1' position