Job Title: GBV and Child Protection Specialist
Duty Station: Iringa
Application Deadline: 6th Sept 2013
As a Senior GBV and Child protection Adviser in the organization, he/she will be asked to provide technical leadership and support to an integrated child protection and GBV programming through close collaboration with a wide range of development actors and government line sectors. The main responsibility of the Specialist is to support project teams in Preventing Violence Against Children 01 AC), GBV, promoting child protection, mainstreaming HIV prevention throughout project implementation.
• Assist regional teams in identifying V AC and GBV interventions in different program areas of MYC response and ensure the inclusion of gender and GBV dimensions
• Facilitate and support the integration of VAC and GBV perspective in the overall strategic planning and programming of various program areas by supporting the integration of child protection and GBV programming
• Build the capacity of LGAs, especially Mufindi and Makete district councils, sub partners, and local NGOS, other relevant actors on development of child protection system, and GBV in MYC program activities
• Facilitating women's and children access to both formal and informal justice mechanisms for redress of crimes of sexual and gender based violence
• Work with local partners, LGAs, Justice System, police, by raising community awareness on VAC and SGBV issues through advocacy campaigns and mass media, mobilizing women and girls to voice their demands for justice
• Developing a strategy for achieving results under V AC and GBV programming in consultation with other stakeholders
• Ensure SGBV victims and survivors access health care by promptly referring them to nearest health care facilities for emergency treatment and counseling
• Ensure Africare partners integrate HIV prevention in MYC program activities at community level through trainings.
• Work with UNICEF teams in Iringa and Njombe regions to train child protection teams and establish coordination and reporting structures at district and ward levels.
• Responsibilities and tasks (M&E-related)
• Support project management and technical staff in incorporating GBV issues in the project M&E system (performance questions, indicators, sampling, methods, procedures, analysis of gender-differentiated implementation and impact).
• Liaise closely, continuously and constructively with sub grantees, government ministries, local government, and other relevant projects to exchange ideas on the GBV M&E of project activities, processes and impacts.
• Assist in gender-sensitive participatory planning and support implementation. Ensure women's and child protection issues appear in local plans.
• Facilitate all field staff and project component managers to communicate information from the field to the appropriate decision-making forum on women's involvement and performance in activities undertaken in all (sub-) components, processes and impacts.
• Ensure that training on and facilitation of M&E processes includes awareness of how women and men can contribute equally.
• Arrange for the dissemination of information from M&E data on the degree to which gender-based violence and child protection objectives are being achieved
Qualifications and Experience;
• Advanced degree in Law, social work, sociology, gender studies, social sciences, or a combination of a first level degree and substantial relevant professional experience. Familiarity with relevant national and international laws is critical
• Experience in assessing intra-household dynamics and impacts on diverse age/ethnic/social groups;
• Experience with integrating child protection considerations into M&E processes, both in terms of the type of information being sought and in terms of creating spaces in which gender-related implementation and impact issues can be discussed openly and corrective actions agreed upon.
Experience, Skills and Knowledge:
• A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience, including extensive knowledge of child protection, gender sensitive and/or V AC programming
• Demonstrated, national and international field experience in development setting.
• Experience working in an inter-agency context
• Proven ability to negotiate and influence change with a wide range of stakeholders, through team/coalition building and advocacy
• Demonstrated experience designing and conducting training' and other capacity building activities
• Excellent analytical, strategic planning, oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work in a diverse multi-cultural settings with sensitivity to the local context Working knowledge of English is required. Candidates fluent in Swahili are preferred
How to Apply:
Send your application materials through postal or courier indicating title position you are applying for in the subject line to the following address:
Human Resources Manager
Dar es Salaam