Job Title: Country Director Advisor
Employer: Room to Read
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 10th Oct 2013
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Zambia – countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read’s worldwide team has impacted over 7.8 million children by constructing more than 1,600 schools, establishing over 15,000 libraries, publishing 874 new children’s book titles in 27 local languages, and reaching over 20,000 girls through our Girls’ Education program.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$43.7 million and our global staff numbers over 600. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in Delhi, New York, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Sydney, and Tokyo. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi and program offices in Colombo, Dar es Salaam, Dhaka, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, and Vientiane.
The Country Director Advisor is the formal business consultant to the Country Director, the highest position in Room to Read’s in-country organizational structure. This position shares responsibility for overseeing in-country efforts in the strategic and tactical execution of implementation, coordination, development, expansion, and monitoring and evaluation of current and prospective work. The shared duties will include; program implementation, organizational development, supporting key partner relationship development and maintenance, community relations building and training, program, financial, and donor reporting, and managing the project funds in accordance with the organization’s procedures. The Country Director Advisor will report to the Chief of International Operations.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Monitors, evaluates and advises the CD’s overall management, development and implementation activities of all programs and country administrative responsibilities to recommend the most appropriate courses of action
- Monitors, evaluates and advises the CD on his direction of the Country Management Team and other appropriate staff, providing them with all the necessary assistance to ensure that program activities are carried out in alliance with headquarter requirements and in a timely manner with attention to quality
- Monitors, evaluates and consults during regular CD staff meetings to assess organizational progress and communicate updates and developments as needed
- Communicates in conjunction with the CD, all program-related activities, issues and updates to the Regional office and/or headquarters as appropriate and seek approval for budget activities and any related program developments
- Consults with the CD on the recruitment and training of staff
- Consults with the CD and HR when writing consultant agreement terms and overseeing their work
- Advises the CD when he is conducting staff appraisals.
- Advises the CD when he is identifying and supporting staff capacity building needs
- Accompanies the CD on project site visits as needed to consult regarding program implementation and, school management team and local authorities discussions. Gathers feedback and consults with the CD to ensure communities deliver on their portion of the challenge grant and on all terms of agreement with Room to Read.
- Consults with the CD to provide organizational oversight and logistical support of program related activities
- Consults with the CD to oversee annual monitoring and evaluation projects
- Develop ideas that address organizational priorities and advises the CD to conduct strategic and operational planning exercises
- Consult with the CD and relevant in-country and headquarter staff to strengthen and improve program impact and sustainability.
- Consult with the CD and the Finance/Admin Manager to manage the organization’s legal compliance
- Participate in any other activities, which may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
- Work in conjunction with the CD to represent Room to Read to external parties in country
- During any period of an extended absence by the Country Director, the Advisor will be delegated full authority of the Country Director by the Chief of International Operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned
1. As an Advisor to the CD, explore opportunities for partnerships and knowledge sharing with NGOs, experts and institutions involved in related education initiatives
2. As an Advisor to the CD, develop and manage relationships with other NGO’s, government officials and appropriate educational facilities/authorities; schedule and attend meetings with them as needed to coordinate planning and implementation of projects
3. Represent Room to Read at relevant meetings and assist in planning and hosting donor visits
- Related B.S/B.A. or equivalent degree, master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of ten years of professional experience in the related field
- Good knowledge and understanding of operational issues, including project management, fiscal integrity, strategic and tactical planning and implementation, resource management
- Strong planning, budgetary, supervising, and program development skills
- Ability to travel frequently to provinces throughout the Region
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Proven track record of achieving results
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong organization and people management skills
- Advanced degree in a related field, ie. education, development
- Prior experience living and/or working in rural areas
- Prior experience working with schools, teachers, administrators and government officials
- Experience in successful implementation of a wide range of tasks as well as developing and implementing improvements in a prior position
- Experience developing and/or implementing large-scale literacy initiatives
General management experience
- To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker; you’re not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
- Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through literacy and gender equality in education.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume by email, with “CD-Advisor-ZT” in the subject line, (no letters, calls, faxes, or drop-ins) to; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to high applicant volume, we regret that we are not able to send personalized responses to all applicants. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing
the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.