Job Title: Social Sector Analyst
Employer: Empower Limited
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 31st Aug 2013
Uwazi is part of Twaweza, an East Africa wide initiative with an objective to enable millions of people
in East Africa improve their quality of life by stimulating people’s imagination and agency, via
improved access to information and enhanced accountability. Uwazi contributes to this objective
through “liberating” existing information and monitoring.
Under the overall guidance of Uwazi Manager, the research analyst shall support the Twaweza team
in its endeavour to implement program goals, including through internal learning, policy debates,
and opinion articles.
1. Design and lead research and accountability monitoring activities on Twaweza social sector focus
areas independently and carry out other relevant analyses as needed.
2. Prepare well researched information products (policy briefs and commentaries) for use in
diverse ways supportive of program goals.
3. Identify opportunities to engage with key interlocutors and represent Uwazi in dialogue with
third parties as needed.
4. Collect and maintain information (data and reports) in a well-organized manner to support
analyses and for further dissemination.
5. Collaborate with other Twaweza units to ensure that Uwazi research outputs are disseminated
in accessible formats.
6. Follow on a regular basis the socioeconomic developments in the country and in the region.
7. Support management in data analysis, and participate in meetings as needed
8. Supervise interns and/consultants reporting to him/her.
1. Successfully implement above responsibilities and assigned activities (and associated budgets) in
work plans, consistent with Twaweza interests and policies.
2. Contribute effectively to planning, monitoring, reporting and information dissemination of
3. Comply with and foster adherence to the established Twaweza approach, policies, regulations,
guidelines and procedures.
4. Participate actively in organization-wide learning and other joint activities.
5. Undertake any other lawful tasks as may be assigned by the Uwazi Manager or the Head of
Core Qualifications and Attributes
1. Master of Arts/Master of Science qualification in social sciences, finance or public policy.
2. At least 3 years of relevant work experience in policy research and advocacy/ policy dialogue
engagements gained with civil society and public sector in the Africa region. Experience working
on public health/health sector issues in the region will be an added advantage.Twaweza Job Description: Research Analyst – Social Sectors
3. Excellent communication and writing skills in English and Kiswahili with demonstrable attention
4. Good organizational and analytical skills and ability to work independently and as a part of a
5. Keen understanding of country political and social dynamics; analytical and conceptual skills.
6. Creative thinker, able to think outside the box and make unorthodox connections. Strong affinity
with the thinking behind the Twaweza concept.
7. Demonstrable computer proficiency including web based applications.
8. Good knowledge of econometric analysis packages e.g. STATA, SPSS.
9. Keen understanding of social sectors and budgetary accountability processes in the East African
10. Ability to deliver quality results on short notice where necessary and with minimum supervision.
11. Curiosity and passion to learn, innovative, able to take thoughtful risks and get things done.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please submit your CV (max 4 pages) to; firstname.lastname@example.org,
Including a cover letter explaining your interests/motivations to work for Twaweza, and 2
Samples of your written work and names of 3 referees, in MS Word or PDF file. In the subject of your email write your name and the position you are applying