Employer: Pathfinder International
Duty Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application Deadline: 16th Aug 2013
Pathfinder International is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor for Health Systems Strengthening to support the Community Care and Social Services Strengthening for HIV-Affected Populations in the United Republic of Tanzania project.
The Senior Technical Advisor for Health Systems Strengthening provides strategic direction and overall technical leadership for all health systems–related activities. S/he will ensure that integrated, effective and cost-efficient health policies, guidelines and systems are developed and operationalized to ensure both client satisfaction and improved health outcomes.
The Senior Technical Advisor will design, implement and monitor all Program activities associated with health systems strengthening including health care financing, decentralization, human capacity development, performance improvement, quality assurance, health management information systems (HMIS) and improved supply chain management. S/he will ensure that aid effectiveness is maximized and sustainable after Program activities have ended.
• Provide technical guidance to the Program government counterparts and implementing partners in the design, implementation and monitoring of all health systems strengthening activities.
• Adapt and develop practical and sustainable tools to strengthen health systems components including management and local level planning, supportive supervision, facility and community-based referral networks, resource mobilization and allocation, budgeting and disbursement and promoting the use of data for decision making and program enhancement.
• Provide hands-on technical support to strengthen human and health systems capacity and resources from the national to local levels.
• Develop, carry out and monitor strategies to identify and address technical gaps and health system vulnerabilities and ensure improved performance over the life of the Program.
• Initiate, establish and maintain collaborative relationships with government counterparts, implementing partner organizations, beneficiary communities and key stakeholders to ensure broad programmatic impact and results.
• Provide support to operationalize health policies, ensure client responsive services and optimal use of government and donor resources.
• Track information on emerging programmatic and funding trends related to health systems strengthening and disseminate new knowledge among implementing partners, staff and key decision makers.
• Prepare technical documentation and reports related to health systems strengthening interventions and results for donors, government stakeholders and in-country and regional partner organizations.
• Collaborate with local government officials, international and multilateral organizations, the private sector, NGOs and civil society representatives to mobilize commitment and support for health systems strengthening.
Basic Requirements (Describe the experience, knowledge, skills, expertise, education, licenses and/or certifications, and specific computer/technical skills required to successfully perform in the position. Candidates must meet basic requirements to be considered for this job.)
• Advanced degree in public health policy, international development, health economics or related field.
• 7+ years’ experience implementing mid to large-scale health and/or international development programs in developing and transitioning countries, with at least 5 years’ experience providing hands-on technical assistance in health systems strengthening.
• Extensive experience in international public health management, training and capacity building.
• Recent experience providing technical assistance in health systems strengthening to public, NGO and/or private sector implementing partners in Tanzania.
• Ability to develop, implement and monitor policy standards, protocols and guidelines.
• Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and cross-cultural communications skills.
• Solid training and capacity building experience, including curriculum development.
• Firm conceptual and analytical skills as well as the ability to translate data into compelling policy recommendations related to improving health systems and the management of scarce resources.
• Familiarity with USAID technical priorities, approaches and initiatives.
• Ability to lead and facilitate the work of technical teams, as well as to work independently.
• Expert computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Fluency in English required.
• Willingness and ability to travel up to 30% time within country and internationally, as needed.
• Familiarity with the political, social, economic and cultural context of working in Tanzania.
• Preferred Qualifications (Describe any preferred qualifications including additional experience, education or other job related skills.)
• Proven ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with host country governments, including senior stakeholders, international organizations, NGO partners, and US government agencies.
• Experience implementing USAID-funded health programs.
• Familiarity with US Government regulations, procedures and reporting requirements.
• Resident experience working in Tanzania.
How to Apply: